1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Group Leader

Re: 1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Post by Group Leader »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I'm not into correct or pretty, just practical.
........ so I've routed the cable outside everything with a small bracket on the acorn nut at the rocker inspection cover and which holds it away from the hot cyl head. The h/bar lever action is as light as a feather.
Me too. That's how it was when I got the bike.

I thought I'd try and route it "correctly". The result? Absolutely dreadful!

So it was returned to the Spriddler position which works beautifully although I've still got to get round to making that bracket!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

cfaber wrote:Hi Folks,

First I have to say, I'm very excited to finally own a proper English motorcycle.
I've always wondered why our bikes have to be called 'British', were there any bikes that were made in Wales, Scotland, N.I.?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Peter Morris wrote:

First I have to say, I'm very excited to finally own a proper English motorcycle.
I've always wondered why our bikes have to be called 'British', were there any bikes that were made in Wales, Scotland, N.I.?
I was always taught that there was British (all of the UK) or English (the (omitted) folks that live in London area :lol:)

Have I been told incorrectly?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

cfaber wrote:
I was always taught that there was British (all of the UK) or English (the (omitted) folks that live in London area :lol:)
Errr...... never heard that before, but I'm originally from the London area so......... :?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

cfaber wrote:
Peter Morris wrote:

Have I been told incorrectly?
The way I've always assumed it worked (and as always, I'm probably wrong and stand to be corrected) is :-
A UK citizen is someone who was born in the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"
A British citizen is someone born in Great Britain... i.e. as a UK citizen but excluding those born in Northern Ireland. (The island of Great Britain does not include any part of the island of Ireland)
An English citizen is someone born in England... i.e. as a British citizen but excluding those born in Scotland or Wales.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Peter Morris wrote:

H J Hulsman (Wales)
Victoria Motorcycles (Scotland)
Fagan (Dublin, yes I know it's not UK)
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

One day, it all became very clear... I was born in Bermuda in the 40s of American parents, grew up in Panama, and was a naturalized US citizen. I never really thought about the difference between British and English. I was about 17, and my mother, a social butterfly, dragged me to a garden party with folks from many nations.

My mother was engaged in conversation with a woman who was transiting the Canal, her home in London. My mother wraps a loving arm around me and says, “Richard was born in Bermuda. He can claim dual citizenship, US and English”. The lady from Kensington, sniffed... “Oh, no my dear! He might be British, he is most assuredly not English!”
Dick Casey
The RideNut
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It niggles me to identify myself on documents with the catch-all term 'British' rather than English.
Goodness knows what we'd get if the PC brigade made cafes serve a 'Full British'.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

When I lived in South London I remember filling out some form or other regarding ethnicity, which being an old hippie I found irrelevant. Fortunately there was a section marked "other - please state". So I wrote Viking Lancastrian Motorcyclist. At this moment in history I'm not totally enthralled with my nationality.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

spookefoote1956 wrote:When I lived in South London I remember filling out some form or other regarding ethnicity, which being an old hippie I found irrelevant. Fortunately there was a section marked "other - please state". So I wrote Viking Lancastrian Motorcyclist. At this moment in history I'm not totally enthralled with my nationality.
I feel the same way =)

Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?