1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

Re: My new restoration project (with lots of pictures)

Post by cfaber »

Well it's been a bit since I've had some time to put into the AJS, I bought and sold two other bikes in the last few months and now have some more free capital to dump into this project. Got most of the parts and started putting it back together, next step is to try and match the current paint and polish up what's there.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
StephenG80

Re: My new restoration project

Post by StephenG80 »

cfaber wrote:
Stephen G80 wrote:cfaber - if you end up not being able to find a glass pilot light lens exactly the same mold/lens as your existing one give me a shout as mine are not exactly the same - one has the lens ridges in the outside the other on the inside. We could do a swap so we both end up with a matching set! :D
Given how cheap they are, I'd suggest purchasing them from the link Pharisee posted.

I only needed 1 but purchased 2 so the color matches exactly.

ah - but mine are original glass 8-)

Your resto is looking really good, look forward to seeing it progress :beer:
cfaber

Re: My new restoration project

Post by cfaber »

Stephen G80 wrote:
cfaber wrote:
Stephen G80 wrote:cfaber - if you end up not being able to find a glass pilot light lens exactly the same mold/lens as your existing one give me a shout as mine are not exactly the same - one has the lens ridges in the outside the other on the inside. We could do a swap so we both end up with a matching set! :D
Given how cheap they are, I'd suggest purchasing them from the link Pharisee posted.

I only needed 1 but purchased 2 so the color matches exactly.

ah - but mine are original glass 8-)

Your resto is looking really good, look forward to seeing it progress :beer:
Hey so I orded the plastic ones and right after they arrived I was able to find the glass ones from a slavage auction on fleabay. PM me your address and I'll drop the spare into the post for you.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

you are an absolute gent Sir - thank you, I'll pm you. :beer:
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Stephen G80 wrote:you are an absolute gent Sir - thank you, I'll pm you. :beer:

I'll drop it in the mail on Monday

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Getting there...
IMG_20180511_123225.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

More time tonight on the AJS tonight, still working on full reassembly while I wait on the head and crank. So everything is going back together except for the motor. Goal here is to ensure that I have finally obtained everything I need to fully reassemble. I'm also going to take the opportunity to rebuild the wiring harness.

Anyways, here's the most recent mystery. What is the proper cable routing?
Does this seem correct? On these bikes did they route it all behind the fork?

Also, with no elbow on the throttle cable, how is this setup? The original cable (shown) seems to be kinked toward the bike, should there be a bit more slack on this?

Correct position for air lever?

How about the decomp, brake, and dipper/horn switch?

Correct position for the horn? Also is there a rubber bushing that should be here? As the morn bolt is proud of the mount by a lot.

(ignore the SAE 3/4" square head, it's gone now. But how about the bolt for the stablizer piece from the battery box (yeah it needs to get moved to the rear hole on the mount). Does anyone happen to know this part number?

Got the primary adjuster mounted with it's spacer, I think this is correct.

Missing a bolt here..

And both of these bolts, and some washers for both tool boxes.

Missing the correct nickle plated bolt and washer for this side. Also need to work on the fitment a bit apparently..

You can also see, the previous owner had drilled (sloppily) a large hole in the tank to route the brake wires through, now I'm trying to find a paint that is as close as possible to what's already there.
Also have to repaint the back of license plate holder, it was in bad shape and had to be cut off, worked back to it's original shape and welded back on to the bracket.

But it's coming together. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the dent in the oil tank.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Hi, It looks like things are coming along nicely.

For manual and parts lists:- http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop_manuals/

Yes you are currently missing the rubber mounting bushes for the horn mounting bracket.

The dent on the oil tank. go along to your local body shop and see if they have a tool that welds a pin onto the dented area. Then a small slide hammer is used to pull on the pin to pull out the dent. if possible finish off with a bent piece of metal held in a vice to act as a block to bring out the rest of the dent.
A bit of disk sanding off and a very small amount of filler to finish and there you go. Jobs good to go.
Do clean out the tank after this work.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Hey thanks for the response. I'm not sure what to do about the dent as in -- I don't know if I want to fix it and repaint it or not =) At least, not yet. I may try and knock it out as much as possible from the back side but I'm still just not sure. If I do fix it, I'll pull the dent and repaint the tank.

In other items, I want to verify what appears to be the check valve for the cylinder barrel lubrication system

Does anyone know how this is disassembled, tested / cleaned?

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

I manged to pull the plug for the check valve today, it was reasonably simple using two screw drivers and a 3BA screw (from the magneto drive cover) I'm glad I did, the ball still had some gunk on it as well as a bit on the spring. Now it's all cleaned up and refitted. I also received some parts back from my machinist ready to fit the on the bike.

Also, I found these two bolts in the "random bolts, including ones from the PO's other projects" pile and I'm hoping someone can help me identify where they go?

But mostly I wasted a few hours on the "garden" :rofl:

Otherwise how will
anything get done?