Dynamo Bearing Removal.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ELPS

Dynamo Bearing Removal.

Post by ELPS »

Wondering if someone can tell me the best way to remove the outer bearing shell from the bakelite dynamo cover on an 49 year G80? Thanks
cfaber

Re: Dynamo Bearing Removal.

Post by cfaber »

I can't say that I've had to replace mine yet, but you're probably going to want to use a blind hole bearing puller and be very very careful not to crack the bakalite
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Its just that the bearing shell sits flush with the bakelite recess so am not sure how one could get a puller under it.
I had to buy a new armature for my dyno and have new bearings for it. Would have thought someone here has done a full overhaul on one of these early dynamos? As the outer looks in good condition I think its going to stay where it is.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

A blind hole puller slots into the bearing or bushing and then expands outward to pull it out. It doesn't matter that's flush.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I've never done one of these, but I have used Rawlbolts(aka shield anchor bolts) - they come as small as 6 mm. put them in the inner race, tighten up and then grip bolt and pull. You may have to cut off excess thread to get locking cones in a blind bearing, but they work well. Hope this helps, Andy
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

On closer inspection, once I cleaned all the crud of it, it appears the cover is formed with a metal support for the bearing. If one could get a bearing puller jammed into the roller race then it may come out. That roller race isn't very deep though but it's worth a try. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Sealey do what looks like the same set in the UK, though its in a yellow box. Listed as set AK716 its around 170 quid :shock: Lovely looking little box of trinket though aint it? ;)

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If I read the photo correctly, you need to react against the metal housing potted' into the Bakelite - using a slide hammer as depicted in the photo could result in damage to the Bakelite.

I'd look for a better solution.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'd look for a better solution.

Regards Mick
I'd be inclined to put that particular dynamo aside and look for a later one where the rear bearing is mounted in the aluminium brush holder casting. Those old Bakelite housings are notoriously fragile, particularly after 70 years. It's also difficult to align the bearings properly and misalignment will cause premature bearing failure and subsequent damage.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.