Retro- fitting lycette style seat and pillion sprung pad.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rob Harknett

Re: Retro- fitting lycette style seat and pillion sprung pad

Post by Rob Harknett »

I can only relate to AJS & Matchless Les except for auto cycles, on which saddles are fitted more like push bikes One fitting that always goes loose so the saddle acts like a see saw. All AMC have spring fitting points that are made as part of the frame. So each spring is bolted to a solid part of the frame, nothing clamped or bolted. See pics of prewar also 3 different 1953 type fixings. I did make e memory error. Front fitting is not on the stud connecting front and rear frame parts, but through the tube that runs under the petrol tank. As Ducan stated. Also seen in my pics.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_16h00m44s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_16h02m23s_003_.png
36 & 38 AJS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_16h08m17s_006_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_16h07m08s_005_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_16h06m09s_004_.png
Other spring types and fittings on 53 models, all via a lug being part of the frame.
Note Spring centres match frame fitting centres so springs are vertical for compression.
It would not be easy to make centres match with clamps onto the frame. Spring fitting centre being the same a frame rail centre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quizmaster

Post by quizmaster »

Stephen G80 wrote:
Duncan wrote:Up until 1952 AJS bikes has a sprung saddle, some sub-frames has mounting pints fixed in place and I believe a clamp could be fixed to a sub-frame to enable a sprung saddle to be fitted. Several years ago the clamp was one of the quiz questions.
I saw the mounts on the frames but have not seen any pictures/reference to clamps - have you any pictures of them Duncan?
Excellent memory Duncan from Autumn 2013 "Used to fit a single saddle to a swinging arm frame"
2013_34.jpg
Hope that helps Stephen. I assume it would clamp round the top rail of the rear subframe as in the illustration of the comp model with the Jampots, and be used with the WD type saddle spring.
"Hi-yo Silver and away"
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I've done some more pondering on this today and the neatest solution I have come up with so far is to make up a 1"* 10" * 1/8th bracket (with 1" extended tabs at each end facing backwards - so it would look an an "E" but without the central tang) and to bolt that, cross ways underneath, and using the same bolts as, the voltage reg bracket. That would be a very solid mount and the wires can still go directly into the VR in front of the mount. Then just need some extra deep nuts to act as spacers to bring the lower fixing point for the springs on the tabs up to the topside of the frame rail. find some 3 1/2" springs and jobs a good'in I think. A couple of 29mm rubber lined tube P clamps will sort out the front anchorage which is not taking any serious load (and will be out of sight). Also a five minute job to revert to original :-).

Thanks for suggestion of trying a saddled bike beforehand Rob. I am 6ft 1" but rode a RE '52 G with a saddle for years and liked that and also a Shovel with a slither seat on the top rails -that took the seat height down by about a foot below the standard pogo seat - with 18" apes it made for a very comfy riding position though. I'll try and post some piccies once done just in case anyone is interested in this easily reversible retrofit.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Just posted my last post when all these great pictures came in !! - thanks - they are all very useful. Those clamps would be neater than my bracket - where do I get a couple from or are we talking hens teeth?
quizmaster

Post by quizmaster »

Well only two people correctly identified the clamps, one from South Africa, one from Australia. Perhaps the sprung single saddle was an export option after it ceased to be available in the home market. So I think Hens Teeth may be the issue. I was sent the photo for the quiz, and I cannot remember from whom I am afraid, my memory is obviously less good than Duncan's. :headbang:
"Hi-yo Silver and away"
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

oh well no matter - in some ways making up a bracket etc, and hopefully it looking "original" to the untrained eye is more satisfying :-)
bob

Post by bob »

I fitted a single saddle to my 1953 16MS . Using 3" springs from a modern Enfield .
Even with 3" springs it was still abit lively on some roads and corners .
Someone penned the description " like a pogo stick "
The Jampots , 3" springs and the springs built into the saddle are just too much .
I cured this by packing the underneath of the saddle with a very dense sponge . Its black and hardly shows . and damps out the multitude of saddle springs , built in under the cover .
I would guess that anything over the 3" ones would create a wandering unstable saddle .
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

quizmaster wrote:
Stephen G80 wrote:
Duncan wrote:Up until 1952 AJS bikes has a sprung saddle, some sub-frames has mounting pints fixed in place and I believe a clamp could be fixed to a sub-frame to enable a sprung saddle to be fitted. Several years ago the clamp was one of the quiz questions.
I saw the mounts on the frames but have not seen any pictures/reference to clamps - have you any pictures of them Duncan?
Excellent memory Duncan from Autumn 2013 "Used to fit a single saddle to a swinging arm frame"
2013_34.jpg
Hope that helps Stephen. I assume it would clamp round the top rail of the rear subframe as in the illustration of the comp model with the Jampots, and be used with the WD type saddle spring.
How would I get a copy of this article ? I've just joined the club. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).