1952 lower frame rail silencer stud

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1952 lower frame rail silencer stud

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Peter Morris wrote:Couldn't you find a rusty stud Roy? ;)
He had to work quickly so that it was finished before the tide came back in and covered it up again.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
clive

Post by clive »

With significant help from a fellow West London member the stud has been replaced. Owing to the vagaries of this built up bike I could not get the side rail off without removing half the bike to get the rear loop off. So instead we removed the rear wheel. A line of weld was added to the stud to give some purchase. It seemed to be moving but then we realised it was twisting and broke off. To get a drill in, even with a short bit, we had to remove the chainguard. What a performance it was getting the bolt out of the gearbox end of the guard. The bolt was a bit longer than it needed to be and at some stage the chain had just caught it meaning the two nuts would not turn off. With the primary chaincase in place it was not possible to get a spanner on the top of the bolt. We finally got it off and the drilling and retap for the stud was very much quicker. Although the stud would not turn out there was just evidence of thread to one side when we had drilled the hole. Hope this stud lasts as long as the last one, then it won't be my problem to replace it.
Thanks for the help and advice forum members and to Roy for the replacement stud.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix