Oil pipes - what is correct?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
schrottschlecker

Oil pipes - what is correct?

Post by schrottschlecker »

Hello,

on my disassembled 58 Model 18S, there are oil pipes made of a rubber hose which is squeezed or somehow cramped into a short piece of metal line. Is that the correct oil pipe? Does the other side fix to the oil tank with a screwed clip bracket? What is the correct name or part number for the oil pipes to see if they are available at club spares?

Thanks for any advice.

Christian
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Re: Oil pipes - what is correct?

Post by 56G80S »

Mine aren't like that at all.

They are secured with "jubillee" clips, the round screwed clips, but only at the tank. Not down near the engine. Someone has bodged it.

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Not bodged, that's a crimped ferrule I cant see anything wrong with the setup, replaced pipes tend to have Jubilee clips, a jubilee clip at the tank permits its removal.

The allen bolt behind the oil pipes should be a bolt with a reduced thickness head, If the allen bolt permits the oil pipes to be tightened then don't stress to change it.

This is the AJS list for reference:
59 AJS Oil Pipes.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pictures show the bottom pipe fitted in the engine, the top correct fitting for the top is also seen. You can find the correct name for parts and the number in your bikes parts list http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... _twins.pdf
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.03_23h12m54s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.03_23h12m34s_001_.png
The rubber pipes were crimped on the metal pipe. Jubilee clips are easier to come by but not correct. To make your own oil and petrol pipe you will need the crimping tool. I have one, they are not too expensive and come with several different size parts for different diameter ferrules. It is important to get correct pipe with inner dia for the metal pipe and inner dia ferrules to fit on the rubber. If not correct they will not crimp up tight. Also they will go slightly oval and leak. I have had a few failures because of not being able to get correct size rubber. So I now take a piece of the copper pipe and some ferrules to a large car spares shop. They will stock various size rubber hose. Find the size you want and buy a metre or two. I do not find the clear plastic type petrol pipe using the crimper ferrules. That clear type plastic goes hard quite quickly. It will also go stiff and stay bent. When it gets to that stage it does not absorb vibration so start to loosen and leak. I too have resorted to using jubilee clips, when I have not had correct pipe and ferrules handy.
Looks like you have now got a similar answer to mine
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Photos of my original, (56 year old pipes):
Oil Lines.png
Oil Pipes.png
Jubilee type clips are not original but people fit them as they are easy and will often seal a weeping connection without any further work.

If you decide to 'go original' a little polysulphide adhesive, (Sikaflex for example), smeared onto the metal tubes will promote better sealing, though there is no real pressure in either line.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Well, it looks like mine are a bodge! Just goes to show that even after 40 years with the Matchless there's still something to learn. Mine are copper all the way from the engine cases through to the connection with the tank!

Also points up the value of lokking at the parts list (which I have).

Christian, apologies.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

56G80S wrote:Well, it looks like mine are a bodge! Just goes to show that even after 40 years with the Matchless there's still something to learn. Mine are copper all the way from the engine cases through to the connection with the tank!

Also points up the value of lokking at the parts list (which I have).

Christian, apologies.

Johnny B
all copper pipes an earlier spec, with a short rubber joint between oil tank and pipe, probably right for a 56 G80S, don't think you have looked at the parts list!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

1956 G80cs copper oil pipes as fitted.

only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A quick check seems to show rubber joints coming in on twins circa 1951 singles ( see below )1952
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.04_15h27m52s_002_.png
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

cbranni wrote:1956 G80cs copper oil pipes as fitted.

Good of you to break off in the middle of your dinner to take the pics , Colin ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'