Rigid frame Left hand foot rest

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Invicta

Rigid frame Left hand foot rest

Post by Invicta »

Hi,
Has anyone ever tried to remove the left hand foot rest from the square section bar. The right hand threaded end of my bar is worn away and the bar is bent. I have bought a new bar, but want to know if the left hand foot rest is welded/brazed on as well as screwed onto the end of the bar. The parts book shows the bar complete with the left hand footrest, as well as the plain bar. I have cleaned up the end but can not see anything obvious. I have tried to unscrew it but no luck. My other option is to straighten the bar and build up the worn thread with weld and re cut the thread.
Rob Harknett

Re: Rigid frame Left hand foot rest

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure you only need to undo the nut holding on the L/H footrest to get the footrest off. Its all I have ever had to do.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

There is no nut on the left hand footrest to undo . The parts book shows the footrest fitted directly onto the bar. Mine is a 1949 rigid frame model 18, maybe yours is different.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Invicta wrote:There is no nut on the left hand footrest to undo . The parts book shows the footrest fitted directly onto the bar. Mine is a 1949 rigid frame model 18, maybe yours is different.
No must be something wrong there surely, need to get the footrest off to get chain case off. My bikes are 36 to 55 singles all have a nut hold the footrest on. What holds your foot rest on ???? Please show a picture.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

1949 AJS extract- footrest.PNG
I believe this was 49 only but would not put money on it, it may be easier to obtain a new footrest and square bar from another year if you cant separate it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote:
1949 AJS extract- footrest.PNG
I believe this was 49 only but would not put money on it, it may be easier to obtain a new footrest and square bar from another year if you cant separate it.
Never come across that all in one footrest and bar before Duncan. ( Never had a 40's AMC ) Surely would have caused problems getting the assemble out if damaged. As seems to be the case here with the rod just bent???
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My guess is that the rod is brazed / brass welded to the footrest - if it were just screwed it would come loose in use.

Do you know anyone with oxy-acetylene that could heat the joint to cherry red and see what moves?

I wouldn't like to trust re-building the thread over weld - I'd rather fit a new rod to the footrest.

Regards Mick
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Mick you are absolutely right. I took a smooth file to it today and when back to bright metal I could see it is clearly screwed and then brazed on to keep it in position. Fortunately I do have an oxy/acetylene set which I will use to melt the braze out and see if I can unscrew it and fit the footrest to the new bar. It is exactly as shown in the parts drawing in Duncan's post . Thanks to all who offered their advice I will let you know how I get on with removing the old one. I think the foot rest will need straightening out a bit as it looks bent up. No doubt due to it being dropped when being ridden at some time long ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Most 'traditional' garages have oxy-acetylene for 'easing' stuck nuts, I'd ask around, (I've found people particularly helpful when they realise it's for a vintage vehicle), they could straighten the footrest at the same time.

You're going to need to find someone to braze the new rod anyhow, or do you intend to try pinning it, (which will break over time).

Regards Mick
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Hi Mick, After some hack sawing, drilling, chiseling and finally use of a couple of square files the footrest is off and has a nice square hole in it and it fits my new bar. I was fooled by the diagram in the spares book that shows a bar threaded at both ends and stupidly, once it was cherry red and the braze was dripping out of it, I tried to unscrew it. Wrong! there is no thread, it is a plain square bar that end and is just brazed into the square hole in the footrest. I should have simply drifted it off once the braze was running out. I bought this bike as a basket case and now I have to see if the right hand foot rest is anywhere to be found.