Where does horn, rectifier, etc..go?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
schrottschlecker

Where does horn, rectifier, etc..go?

Post by schrottschlecker »

Hello,

can anyone tell me where the rectifier 49072B is mounted on a 1960 Model 18S frame (58 engine alternator/coil)?
Is there a special cable for earth?
I also have no idea where the horn is attached and which horn is correct?

It would be great if someone could describe or even better post a picture of the mess under the seat ;)

Thanks and Best Regards,

Christian
Pharisee

Re: Where does horn, rectifier, etc..go?

Post by Pharisee »

Don't know about the rectifier as mine earlier model has a dynamo but the horn is a Lucas "Altette" mounted behind the engine on the left hand side. It uses an angle bracket bolted to the rear engine plate.
18S_2910-small.jpg
18S_2911-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm pretty sure your bike would have originally had a Lucas HF1441 horn mounted via bracket pt no 026410 - both shown in the photo below:
Horn and rectifier.png
I believe the rectifier was originally mounted on the back of the tool / battery box but I didn't like the possibility of the rectifier bolt fretting on the battery so made a small bracket to enable it to be mounted on the horn bracket attachment bolt.

Yes, there is a dedicated earth lead from the rectifier.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schrottschlecker

Post by schrottschlecker »

Thanks for your replies and the photos. The Altette looks very nice, but I think my horn will be hidden between oil tank and battery / toolbox.
I have ordered a new wiring harness and lighting/ ignition switch at AMOC for 58/59 specs. I hope that will match the rest.

I will post some pictures of the progress soon.

Cheers,

Christian