'54 with burman gearbox clutch cable?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

'54 with burman gearbox clutch cable?

Post by cfaber »

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct clutch cable for the '54 18s with VAF G-1-2 burman?

I thought I ordered the right cable but it's way short, is this the right one? http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=22589

The existing one is about 6ish feet or so, and is missing the nipple.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Rob Harknett

Re: '54 with burman gearbox clutch cable?

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's the one the parts list states. Note in parts list the inner wire is 40 7/8" long
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Yep I to have come across the problem of cable length when using poor quality and cables. Now I buy quality cables from either AMC Classic Spares or direct from the manufacturer J & J Cables. http://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/j-j-cables-ltd.
AMC Classic Spares usually hold most cables in stock including some longer variants for use with non standard higher h/bars.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

With the Burman box the cable is routed to the left of the steering head in the cut out on the tank and not around it and down the RH side.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

The old cable is 62" long, the new one (per the spec is 40). Could it be that the current cable is incorrect and the new one should work just fine? Or is there another cable out there that's longer?

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Triumph-Legend wrote:Yep I to have come across the problem of cable length when using poor quality and cables. Now I buy quality cables from either AMC Classic Spares or direct from the manufacturer J & J Cables. http://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/j-j-cables-ltd.
AMC Classic Spares usually hold most cables in stock including some longer variants for use with non standard higher h/bars.
Thanks, I'll try and stop in next time I'm in Warwickshire :beer:

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Steve Surbey at AMC Classic Spares is very helpful on the 'phone (provided you take the time shange into account!) and I believe ships all over. I understand that the cables he sells are in fact from JJ Cables?

Cheers

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

cfaber wrote:The old cable is 62" long, the new one (per the spec is 40). Could it be that the current cable is incorrect and the new one should work just fine? Or is there another cable out there that's longer?
62" is longer than 40 7/8" inner wire length which the parts lists states, for a correct cable to fit all 1954 models. So cannot understand why you ask the above questions. Have you done anything non standard with your bike. High rise bars ??? Taken the cable on a different route to that Stu has advised???
I am sure you are not using a cloth tape from the wife's knitting basket. They do stretch or shrink, but not as much as 20". I think that must be why they print a rule in women's knitting magazines. So they can check if their tape measure is correct.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Rob Harknett wrote:
cfaber wrote:The old cable is 62" long, the new one (per the spec is 40). Could it be that the current cable is incorrect and the new one should work just fine? Or is there another cable out there that's longer?
62" is longer than 40 7/8" inner wire length which the parts lists states, for a correct cable to fit all 1954 models. So cannot understand why you ask the above questions. Have you done anything non standard with your bike. High rise bars ??? Taken the cable on a different route to that Stu has advised???
I am sure you are not using a cloth tape from the wife's knitting basket. They do stretch or shrink, but not as much as 20". I think that must be why they print a rule in women's knitting magazines. So they can check if their tape measure is correct.
The original bars were not original on this bike, I'm not sure if this is really the correct cable or not that should be on there. If the 40" cable will fit, then I'll order it. I purchased this bike as a partial basket case and never got to see it fully assembled so it's very possible that the 160cm cable is not correct.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Unless the bars are those high riser cow horn type, non original or original bars are more or less the same. So should make no difference. Levers could have a different cable end fitting. Again patterns all seem to take the original size barrel nipple. ( small moped type levers may take a smaller barrel nipple. )