Side stand spring

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Spanielsam

Side stand spring

Post by Spanielsam »

Hello

A bit of help would be appreciated
I have a 1956 G80S and the old side stand spring has broken and fallen off, i have purchased a new one 21261 but i cannot see where the spring attaches to the bike or which way round the spring goes,
The ends of the spring are different

I think the stand is standard but has a lug with a hole in it but also a bent lug that does not seem to do anything

Its a simple thing that I would like to get right as i dont want the stand to suddenly fall out when i am approaching break neck speeds lol

Thanks in advance
MalcW

Re: Side stand spring

Post by MalcW »

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I think the stand is standard but has a lug with a hole in it but also a bent lug that does not seem to do anything
The lug is there as a stop against the frame when the spring retracts, I put a short length of rubber hose over mine to lose the metal to metal clunk when the stand returns, this can also hold the retracted stand slightly lower making it easier to access.
The ends of the spring are different
Using the holes in the frame the spring will only fit one way, from memory it is the end with the small hook that goes through the frame, the other goes through the hole in the second tag on the stand
Spanielsam

Post by Spanielsam »

Sorted 👍

I would never have guessed that was what those two holes were for

Many Thanks for your replies

I have just fitted one of these new centre stands that are advertised on here, best money I have spent for years, works a treat
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Spanielsam wrote:Sorted 👍

I would never have guessed that was what those two holes were for

Many Thanks for your replies

I have just fitted one of these new centre stands that are advertised on here, best money I have spent for years, works a treat
Thank you Trev, glad you're happy with the stand. Rob