Stainless steel fork slider extensions

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Invicta

Stainless steel fork slider extensions

Post by Invicta »

I have just received a pair of Stainless Steel slider extensions for my 1949 model 18 from the club spares scheme , but they are about 1" longer than the originals . Do I need to reduce their length to that of the originals to prevent them hitting the inside top of the lower spring covers or will the forks bottom out before this happens. Has anyone else bought a pair of these and found that they are OK to fit as they are?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Stainless steel fork slider extensions

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've only replaced two sets and without any issues and not heard of that problem.
Were your 'originals' the correct length? Perhaps they'd been cut short for some reason.
What is the length of your new ones? Perhaps someone has a pair of 'originals' that they can measure.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

I had a reply from the spares scheme and apparently from 1952, I think they said, the slider extensions were 1" longer. They have never stocked the shorter ones fitted to pre 1952 models . As I can not find any the correct length I will reduce those that the spares scheme sent. A bit of careful work with a hack saw and a file will do it. Oh to have a lathe and simply part off the unwanted bit!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Depending on the grade of stainless steel the sliders are made from you may struggle with a hacksaw and file due to work hardening, a better alternative is probably a thin cut off disc in an angle grinder or possibly a 'Dremel' type tool, finish the rough edges with a rotary stone in the same.

An easy way to mark the cut is to wrap a length of masking / insulation tape around the slider with one edge aligned with the cut.

This is definitely not a parting job for a lathe, the tool will break through at one point and then the remainder of the cut will be torn probably distorting and marking the slider. (Good job you don't have one ;) )

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Why Not just leave them as they are unless your forks bottom out they will do no harm.
Roy
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

I would leave them at the longer length, less likely to get muck water up the fork leg and onto the seal with a greater overlap twit the lower shield/oil seal retainer and the top fork leg cover.

I have used a few sets of these from the club spares, perfect every time.
clive

Post by clive »

G15 Roy wrote:...... unless your forks bottom out ........
I think that was the question Invicta was asking Roy. :headbang:

I think, but am happy to be corrected, that the top shrouds which were screw fitted to the yolk (which would be fitted to your bike) were slightly longer than the later versions which were a floating fit. It would make sense therefore that the lower covers could be shorter. If you want to check they will not bottom out I would be inclined to measure the thickness of the wire of the fork spring and multiply it by the number of turns. If this is bigger than the measurement of the depth of the lower shroud you should be ok. I also think the forks may bottom out before the springs become coil bound due to the damper cone (or the lower damper rod assembly if you have uprated the forks from the shuttle type to the later damper rods).
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix