Spark plug spanner

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mikeydpippin

Spark plug spanner

Post by mikeydpippin »

Has anyone devised a plug spanner that can remove the spark plug without having to remove the petrol tank.
Just been checking for a spark, and can't get plug out as not enough clearance, with plug spanner.
Last edited by mikeydpippin on Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Rob Harknett

Re: Spark plug spanner

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should not have any problems with a correct spark plug spanner. Some do tend to have a long box. So you have to loosen the plug, remove the tool and unscrew by hand. Look for one with a short box. No longer than a plug. You should then be able to fully unscrew the plug. Remove the tool with the plug still inside. If you can get the tool on the plug, it should also come off, with the plug still inside. I have never had to remove a tank to get a plug out. I assume you have got the thick tank rubbers under the tank and not under the frame fitting, as that will lower the tank 1/2" or more.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you are using a socket are you using it in conjunction with a universal joint?

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi

I use a "box" spanner with an attached metal strip like this:

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-tools-melc ... gLv5fD_BwE

and you can cut the end of the metal strip to fit the clutch adjusting nuts so it becomes a multi-tool for those kerbside jobs.

Johnny B
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Those type of spanners come up on ebay occasionally. And they fit nicely in the toolbox.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

3CD2B6AC-7046-499B-A50F-62FD79BF4891.jpeg

Thanks for the replies, I attach a pic, hopefully rubbers are fitted correctly.
Maybe a Johnny B spanner is needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The rubbers fit between the tank and the frame lugs - it looks like yours are under the lugs, this is incorrect as they will not isolate the tank from vibrations.

My 61 G3 has quite thick rubbers on top of the lug and thin ones below - the result is the tank is raised about an inch higher.
Tank rubber - spark plug.png
Are you sure you haven't mislaid the thick ones?

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The rubbers fit between the tank and the frame lugs - it looks like yours are under the lugs, this is incorrect as they will not isolate the tank from vibrations.

My 61 G3 has quite thick rubbers on top of the lug and thin ones below - the result is the tank is raised about an inch higher.

Are you sure you haven't mislaid the thick ones?

Regards Mick
You seen to have the correct thin rubber below the lug, I am sure your year should also have the thick rubber ( about 1/2" thick ) above the lug between the tank. You have a plug cap fitted, If that comes off OK the plug should come out OK. But you may have to lift the plug out still in the plug spanner, of tip it sideways and pull the plug up and out.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

From the photo it also looks like you have studs in the tank secured with nylocs - again this is not per design I think - you should have bolts secured by wire.

Sorry if I'm wrong and the photo's deceptive.

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for the replies this is a 63 G80 and according to Steve Surbey the nylocs fit in the holes in the tank.
Not the same tank underside as my G3,s no threads to bolt into, just 1 1/2 deep holes approx 3/4” dia to fit long rubber and bolt through the middle.
Hope I have got it wrong, but can't see any other way to fit tank.
Thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions though 👍
Mike