photos please: safety wiring of tank bolts and luggage rack

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

photos please: safety wiring of tank bolts and luggage rack

Post by StephenG80 »

Hi -can someone please post up a picture of the standard way to safety wire on the fuel tank retaining bolts, I've done but it s not pretty :( - also a picture of the correct luggage rack for '54 G80S :ugeek: as I would like to get one for my bike.

Thanks in advance .
Rob Harknett

Re: photos please: safety wiring of tank bolts and luggage r

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just look at carriers in club spares. They may look the same for the years stated, perhaps angle of fixing plate and stays angle / length vary.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.05.13_22h08m44s_001_.png
Wiring the tank bolts should not be a problem. The job wiring has to do is stop you loosing them. They are not fully tightened. Just nipped up so the rubbers will do the job of stopping vibration. Just put the wire through the bolt hole, cross the wires figure of 8, then over the inner side of the stay. Twist wires on top of the stay, remove excess, flatten down joint on top the stay. The bolt may still loosen a bit, if it actually comes all the way out, it will hand on the wire connected to the stay. I always twist & flatten on top of the stay. Sharp ends are then out of reach when dusting also tickling the carb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Many thanks Rob - I think I have probably been a bit over enthusiastic with the wire - I'll re-do them as you suggest- that will be a lot neater. Also thansk for the rack photos - I just need to track one down now.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stephen G80 wrote:Many thanks Rob - I think I have probably been a bit over enthusiastic with the wire - I'll re-do them as you suggest- that will be a lot neater. Also thansk for the rack photos - I just need to track one down now.

Club spares carrier stocks limited I believe.
I have a small coil of wire for the tank bolts. I think from the £1 shop or cheap tool stall. Last a life time. Use a long length of wire, so plenty to get hold of and pull tight, bit like doing up shoes laces. Snip off excess wire when fixed. You can carry spare wire if you wish. May come in handy for other things that may need temp holding e.g. if you loose battery carrier top bolt. Cut a bit of broom handle, drill a small hole to hold wire ends, coil the wire like cotton reel.
Mate of mine always had wire coiled on a frame tube of his 1920's BSA also hack saw blade. One day the bike threw an exposed push rod. Could not find the rod. We just happened to stop by a metal fence with round rod railing. He got the hack saw blade, eyed up a bit of railing for length, cut it off. Was off again in minutes.
REW

Post by REW »

I use copper wire extracted from a twin and earth wire offcut. Easy to twist and cut and doesn't readily corrode.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.