41mm 6v amp gauge?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

41mm 6v amp gauge?

Post by cfaber »

Anyone have a source for these? Or does anyone happen to have a spare they would want to part ways with for my project? It seems from the PO's cigarette lighter experiment, the amp gauge is literally fried and is not functional. The various ones I could find on ebay are 41.275 - 44mm and none will fit. I could open up the opening more for it, but would really rather keep it original if possible.

Can anyone suggest anything? Thank you!
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cbranni

Re: 41mm 6v amp gauge?

Post by cbranni »

I will be corrected if I am wrong but some suppliers give the smaller dia to fit the hole as 1 5/8 (41mm)or the outer rim dia which is 1 3/4 (44mm). the hole should be 1 5/8 and the ammeter rim should be 1 3/4 so it doesn't fall into the headlamp.

I wonder if that makes sense to anyone? ah well.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Some of the Indian metal body ones come up a bit tight and easing may be required, they also have a tapered edge leading up to the bezel so can sit a bit proud, the plastic bodies 1 3/4" ones are a better fit, it looks like the new Lucas products are now available with the tabs on the bezel. This is just one supplier as an example of the range http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm other suppliers are available, ammeters are about half way down, note the comment as previously mentioned: AMMETERS - Sizes shown are the OD of the chrome bezel, the hole dia. will be 1/8" smaller
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Duncan wrote:Some of the Indian metal body ones come up a bit tight and easing may be required, they also have a tapered edge leading up to the bezel so can sit a bit proud, the plastic bodies 1 3/4" ones are a better fit, it looks like the new Lucas products are now available with the tabs on the bezel. This is just one supplier as an example of the range http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm other suppliers are available, ammeters are about half way down, note the comment as previously mentioned: AMMETERS - Sizes shown are the OD of the chrome bezel, the hole dia. will be 1/8" smaller
Awesome find. I've sent the guy an email. Cheers. :beer:

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi cfaber

I'm intrigued by the "PO's cigarette lighter experiment" as I've just re-worked the connections for this on my G80S. I was running a lead direct from the battery but have now connected to the "input" side of the ammeter and all is fine afer an 84 mile trip yesterday with an old smartphone used as sat nav plugged in.

What had the PO done that fried the ammeter?

Be good to learn from their error. Although losing the ammeter wouldn't be too much of a hardship as it's from a old car. Except from any consequently damage elsewhere. A new one would be a good idea. Have to say I had good service from Paul Goff at NorBSA but not the cheapest.

Johnny B
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Basically from what I can see, the PO had connected the output side of the gauge to the bottom of the lighter heater element input, and then grounded(+) against the frame. This must have apparently worked for a while, but the gauge eventually acted as a fuse and the precious lucas smoke escaped. Had the PO connected it to the input side (battery lead side) there probably wouldn't have been an issue =)

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

cfaber wrote:Basically from what I can see, the PO had connected the output side of the gauge to the bottom of the lighter heater element input, and then grounded(+) against the frame. This must have apparently worked for a while, but the gauge eventually acted as a fuse and the precious lucas smoke escaped. Had the PO connected it to the input side (battery lead side) there probably wouldn't have been an issue =)
You could have replaced the smoke Colin and saved the cost of a new ammeter :D
Smokekit2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

JimFitz wrote:
cfaber wrote:Basically from what I can see, the PO had connected the output side of the gauge to the bottom of the lighter heater element input, and then grounded(+) against the frame. This must have apparently worked for a while, but the gauge eventually acted as a fuse and the precious lucas smoke escaped. Had the PO connected it to the input side (battery lead side) there probably wouldn't have been an issue =)
You could have replaced the smoke Colin and saved the cost of a new ammeter :D
Smokekit2.jpg
Haha, I thought I might get this type of reply if I tee'd it up =)

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks, I connected to the "input" side coming from the battery as I thought that was safest.

Rare for me to do the right thing electrically!

Keep up the good work.

Johnny B