Hello from Oz.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Mick D

Re: Hello from Oz.

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Here's a photo of my adjuster - should be the same as yours:
GB Adjuster.png
And here's a snag from the manual:
Gearbox Adjustment.png
Available from the archive:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

Thank you Mick, you are a life saver. It looks to be stainless steel.
I had that illustrated pic but hard to fabricate something from that.

Thank you again.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Allen

It's actually bright zinc plated steel I think, I'll get you the dimensions from the old one if I can find it.

Here you go:
GB Adjuster Dims.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Allen_F wrote:Not sure why I might need verification of frame year though, unless Department of transport require it for historical registration, if I go that rout.
You don't need verification of the frame number, per se. I mentioned the Dating service as you wrote: <<I was checking out my frame # to see if it matched the 57/G80s stamped on the motor>>. Unlike some Brit bikes the AMC bikes didn't have 'matching' numbers i.e the same number on both engine and frame. I've twigged now that you meant you were checking that the engine and frame were the same year rather than the same number.
The frame number is the key (in the factory records) that identifies how the bike was originally configured (DOM, marque, model, engine and g/box nos.) and to where it was shipped initially from the factory. Many folk with a new bike are curious as to the history of exactly what it was when it left the factory as bits get changed over the years.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mick D's done a great job there and that mirrors what I have on my 1956 G80S - but it has an AMC gearbox swapped in for the Burman with the necessary change in the spacer ring on the driveshaft crank axle; which reminds me that I need to find the Burman one for when I put that in over winter to refurb the AMC - damn!

Johnny B
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

Thank you all for your time and here is your reward.