Hello from Oz.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Allen_F

Hello from Oz.

Post by Allen_F »

G'day one and all, I have been lurking for a week or so, thought it time to be polite and introduce myself.
Allen Flux is my name, my ancestors came from GB somewhere I'm told.
I live in sunny Queensland Au. Not real warm at the moment, still in shorts though, it's sneaking into winter slowly, It gets down to about 7 Celsius where I live.

I was checking out my frame # to see if it matched the 57/G80s stamped on the motor an discovered something interesting, I thought so at least.
My frame number is A50899. Acording to this, Autumn to Autumn production year they made 10266 500ds that year. Does that sound right?
I hope to fit in, you seem a pleasant bunch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Re: Hello from Oz.

Post by 56G80S »

Welcome and sure someone will come along who knows soon!

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You are looking at yearly frame start numbers for road models only. The number series used for all models of AJS and Matchless. Compt. models all shared a different series of numbers. Not seen in your attachment. The 10, 266 = total number of frames you mentioned. That's for all road models AJS & Matchlless. not just 500's and does not include compt models. The report is also vauge as to model year dates. For example, September 1st 1955 was the start of the 1956 model year production. Ending August 31st 1956. Even this is not quite true, as the factory closed at the beginning of September for the annual holidays. In the example 1956 model year dates given, it was hoped to have the new 1956 range ready for sale and display, at the 1955 London Motor Cycle exhibition first weekend in November 1955. So you could have a 1956 model sold and registered late in 1955.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Allen_F wrote:G'day one and all, I have been lurking for a week or so, thought it time to be polite and introduce myself.
Allen Flux is my name, my ancestors came from GB somewhere I'm told.
Welcome Allen. Regrettably the rest of GB's thieves and crooks are still here. ;)

You should be able to get an official Dating Certificate or Certificate of Authenticity* from the factory records (based on the frame number) which will show when and in which guise it left the Plumstead factory. Apply to the Dating Officer. Be patient, he's currently riding 1300 miles back from our international rally in Portugal.

* £70 to non members, ten quid to you. You can have saved your membership subs already :beer:

Dating info here:
http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Allen, I think the numbering system will cover all bikes made rather than just 500's
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote:Hi Allen, I think the numbering system will cover all bikes made rather than just 500's
The chart does show Frame numbers are shared with all models for both AJS & Matchless. It can also be seen, engine numbers started to be shared with both AJS & Matchless. This chart does nor cover any comp. models. I have not checked the engine start numbers, they do seem to start some way into the series for one make compared to the other. I seem to recall in manufacture supplied info, there was very little difference between the two marque start numbers. Also not checked, but I seem to recall, they did not have both makes listed with the same start number. So for firm dating of any number, you do need to check via the club dating officer. I do wonder where this chart originated from? As I already stated, the publisher was not precise in when the model year started and ended, Also uses the word " about " when referring to the start numbers shown. So always ????'s if looking at this chart, club dating will answer.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I know nothing about numbering but big welcome from Taynuilt, Scotland, UK! :beer:
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

Thank you All for your welcome, Those production numbers are impressive by any standards.
Not sure why I might need verification of frame year though, unless Department of transport require it for historical registration, if I go that rout.

Then bike was sold to me as an ajs which was wrong as the engine # testifies. It did have an ajs timing cover which the seller quickly exchanged for a Matchless one which would make you wonder.

Regrettably the rest of GB's thieves and crooks are still here. I have lived 69 years of undetected crime so far which could explain why you still have crooks there.

Question Time :-
Could someone please illiustrate with a picture or other, the gearbox / primary chain adjuster mechanism on a 1957 g80s 500 with AMC gearbox ?

I have fashioned something that works for now but would like to get things correct if possible.
I copied an idea I noticed on a 57 the same as mine at the historical race meet at lakeside, it was a cam adjuster off a lightweight suzuki rear wheel axel. royal enfield also have a simlar cam type apparatus on the bullet rear axel.
I know this is incorrect but it works for now.

The 57 introduced the AMC box so earlier bikes were different. Edit / Not sure if that is correct ?

Cheers.
Last edited by Allen_F on Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

In GB bikes are dated on the frame number. Factual proof of dating is required for the registration document for various reasons. You also need to know year and model of parts your bike may have been built with, to get correct spare parts.
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

You also need to know year and model of parts

Thanx Rob, logic isn't one of my refined virtues. I will do the factual dating thingie through the club eventually.

I have been searching photos in the archives looking form primary chain adjuster, so far most have the cover concealing it. plenty to look at though and I'm enjoying it, What a treasure, I had no idea. My parts book isn't very clear.