Side stand spring and other holes in frame rails

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Invicta

Side stand spring and other holes in frame rails

Post by Invicta »

Having read the other threads on the topic of side stand spring fixing points I believe that the two holes that I have identified , see attached photograph, are where the spring goes, but can anyone tell me what the other two holes , one on each side of the underneath of the frame rails are for? The whole idea of the spring being attached to the opposite side of the frame from the stand and stretched under and rubbing against the crank case seem bizarre to me. All of my other bikes have the side stand spring fixed to some point on the same side as the stand. Just what were the designers at AMC thinking when they came up with this idea ! Sorry photo won't upload site states it is too big being over 1 MiB Tried a screen shot and am told The extension doc is not allowed.
Last edited by Invicta on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenG80

Re: Side stand spring and other holes in frame rails

Post by StephenG80 »

I was just about to ask this very question- can you please take a screen shot/"snip" of your photo (that will create a low rez jpeg) which will upload, so I can see where this holes are :D
Duncan

Re: Side stand spring and other holes in frame rails

Post by Duncan »

the other two holes , one on each side of the underneath of the frame rails are for?
They could probably be "vent" holes for when the parts were originally brazed together.