Help, clutch cables

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
neil cairns

Help, clutch cables

Post by neil cairns »

I bought a clutch cable for my '53 18S some years ago from the club. It was part number MC702. The original part number was 018141. I've looked on the clutch cable spares list and neither of these numbers appear anywhere; they are all T*** with no explanation as to what they fit. Can anyone help me find the correct cable? (I'm not impressed!)

NC.
Stuoyb

Re: Help, clutch cables

Post by Stuoyb »

If you use the search facility with the original AMC part no (018141)., this is what you will see:-

T226 CABLE CLUTCH CONTROL;USE FOR-

Cable Clutch Control;use For- 018141;

Price : £12.75 each

Price incl. tax : £15.30
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Cable Pt. no's.jpg
The old parts list printed version also shows AMC pt. no's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neil cairns

Post by neil cairns »

Thanks Stuoyb, so why is there not an explanation of that facility on the cable's pages? We are not all computer wizz-kids alas.

NC.
Last edited by neil cairns on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
neil cairns

Post by neil cairns »

Rob, I have the photocopy of the AJS original parts book and do use it to ID stuff. But an old reciept I have has MC702 for the 018141. I did not know of the 'search facility', surely it would be easier to just put the models/gearbox type next to the item on the list? Why do computer people make things so complex? Than you anyway.

NC.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

neil cairns wrote:Rob, I have the photocopy of the AJS original parts book and do use it to ID stuff. But an old reciept I have has MC702 for the 018141. I did not know of the 'search facility', surely it would be easier to just put the models/gearbox type next to the item on the list? Why do computer people make things so complex? Than you anyway.

NC.
Neil, More info is given than was given before we had computers. Starting with the basics. Your parts list. I shows the AMC part number for a complete cable. You will also see a pt. no. and size for inner & outer. Note these sizes, as they are clues to help discover a cable using a different pt. no. Like a number prefixed T. You will see club cables prefixed with T + number + the AMC 6 digit number. Your old cable was MC 702. + AMC number. MC 702 is the manufactures pt. no. There were several manufactures making cables. You are told which gearbox a cable will fit??? If 018141 is the correct cable for your bike it will fit the correct gearbox for your bike. You may or may not have the correct gearbox, which could cause a problem. So nothing has changed since we had books only to refer to. It should now be easier as you still have book, plus a computer.
First go to the club home page and click on the red & white banner named AMOC spares. This will bring up the spares page. Bottom left type in the pt. no. required and click search.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.06.05_11h47m55s_001_.png
You will next see.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.06.05_11h48m30s_003_.png
Click on the text , Clutch cable control: use for.. you will next see.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.06.05_11h49m00s_004_.png
In this case wire length is not shown, not too worry, its in your parts book.
Once you know how, it is so much easier than getting your book out to search through pages, your computer does that for.
Wont be long before its even easier, you will just have to speak, " computer please find pt. no. 018141"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by 196016 »

Neil , saw your request on Real Classic or Facebook , didn't you mention about nylon lined cables , if so try these.

J.J. Cables Ltd. Hillfields Farm Lighthorne Warwicks tel 01926 651470, All types including Nylon lined.

From memory , the last time i bought from them at Kempton park or Founders day , they had AMC cables ready made.

Regards

Dave Cook
neil cairns

Post by neil cairns »

My '53 18S combination clutch was getting very stiff, and sometimes the clutch would stick then engage sharply ( I have stronger springs in the clutch for the sidecar). I put this down to a worn cable. BUT a new one did not improve it. So I purchased a nylon lined cable kit from Venhill ( BRI-1-100, classic British Clutch Cable Kit). It is a much beafier cable and only took 35 minutes to cut to size and soler the nipple on. I now have a super-smooth clutch lever action and no more Kangaroo leaps!! ( < www.venhill.co.uk >)
neil cairns

Post by neil cairns »

Thanks Rob, I'm OK with magnetos, dynamos, mechanical advance & retard, building gearboxes and engines, etc, etc; but computers leave me cold.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

neil cairns wrote:Thanks Rob, I'm OK with magnetos, dynamos, mechanical advance & retard, building gearboxes and engines, etc, etc; but computers leave me cold.
You will find your way round computers to do what you want to do eventually Neil. You can never stop learning with them. Remember it took time to learn to read and write, 78 years on I'm still learning how to do that. Hope the pictures helped show the way to search for club parts. You will find similar steps will need to be taken with other usage of computers.