ignition switch

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Duncan

Re: ignition switch

Post by Duncan »

The EMG position is normally only works on original wiring with a three wire alternator, the third wire is taken unregulated straight to the coils, although a bike will start like this it will immediately misfire if ridden in this configuration.

If the bike is rideable in either position then it has probably been upgraded at some point in the past. If you have a two wire alternator you are unlikely to have the EMG option.

I have previously started my coil ignition 1959 350 to test something forgetting the battery was on charge with the ignition in the on position, the alternator will happily fire it up.
smokiewazhere

Post by smokiewazhere »

hi duncan there are 3 wires on the alternator and the bike has been converted too 12 volt battery with electronic ignition (no points )
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Is it a six volt alternator uprated? If so two of the wires (cant recall which of the top of my head) will be joined together to effectively create a two wire alternator.
smokiewazhere

Post by smokiewazhere »

now duncan these are two questions i can not answer. i know there are three wires under the panel which covers the adjuster for the gear box (where the petrol drips on when priming the carb) but the wire could be joined some where else? i know the battery is 12v as i have just replaced it and the head light bulb is 12v too
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Your switch looks like a 63SA type, you can confirm this by looking at how the wiring is attached, a 63SA has the wiring soldered directly to it, (an 88SA has a plug holding the wires connected to it).

I think yours is a pattern replacement, - my original looks like this:
63SA.png
As I see it, using the bike with IGN to the right and EMG to the left will be correct in either 6V or 12V configuration.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smokiewazhere

Post by smokiewazhere »

I have had the light lens out before and there is a plug with round connectors in it that push into the switch. As I was checking just incase there was corrosion in the
connectors which were OK so I think it will be a 88sa
gtx469

Post by gtx469 »

does anyone know the part number for the ignition switch knob that does not use a key? The one pictured from Mick D above. Its identical to the lighting switch knob 54330934 only with IGN and EMG on it. I can't find the number anywhere but tons of places have the matching Light switch knob.
Larry Larivee