G80S Value???

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Trig748

G80S Value???

Post by Trig748 »

Hi. I am interested in buying a friends G80S and need to know its value. Is there someone I can email some pics and info to that could give me a rough idea?
Thanks.
Biscuit
Deceased

G80S Value???

Post by Biscuit »

I can't see how a valuation based on pictures and information can accurately value a bike, as I have said before, you need to touch it, hear it smell it and ride it. If you don't trust your friend, you need someone with knowledge to see it. Prices on the web site have ranged from £500 to a very optomistic £3000Edited by - Biscuit on 26 Jun 2006 5:21:46 PM

TommoT

G80S Value???

Post by TommoT »

...this particular model is of immense value to both the collector, the clubman and the general motorcycle rider...., you must therefore expect to pay a handsome amount of pounds to persuade the owner to pass it on to you. I have of course absolutely no inclination towards this particuler model of which I own only one specimen...

Joking aside the ads on this site and the Jampot Magazine seem to average around £ 2000, subtract some if condition is below average and add some if better.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
itma

G80S Value???

Post by itma »

£wot you wany to pay for it
£wot he asks for it for it
£wot you re hoping to get it for
£wot he really wants for it
££somewhere in there is the answer,
he`s asked for offer? tell him £50, he knows what he wants, he`s just hoping you`ll offer more
Trig748

G80S Value???

Post by Trig748 »

Thanks for your speedy replies, I agree with all your comments.

I am not looking for an accurate value but I think seeing some pictures will enable a more accurate figure than not seeing any at all. Is there no way of putting pictures on this board? I have not been in this situation before on other message boards.

Any way for what it is worth, a bit more info from the current owner:

"After taking them, and before it rained, I pulled the petrol pipe from the tank and just filled up the 389 carb. Tickled, full choke and second kick it fired up! Ran it for 5 or so minutes and it sounded fine, oil returning and all.

It hasn't been on the road for over 30 years although I did fire it up 3 or 4 years ago after evicting a flock of starlings from the mag.

It is registered on a V5, and I also have the old green log book.

No spares but it does come with a workshop instruction manual."

The pictures show quite a tatty bike with plenty of rust on chromed areas but it looks original to me. Probably more in the £300 area?
itma

G80S Value???

Post by itma »

thats mean, I have thought maybe 700-800 these days, like the man said, "it all depends on the angle of dangle..."
photos link above will rell you how
Trig748

G80S Value???

Post by Trig748 »

Hang on a minute thats 6 times your figure

Thanks for the link. Too late to get my head round it tonight. I will try again tomorrow.
Eamonn
Webmaster

G80S Value???

Post by Eamonn »

Hi Trig, nice to see you over here !!!

From the pictures (now in the gallery), I would agree with you that a figure in the low hundreds would be far more appropriate.

There's a lot to be done to get it all "spick and span" - I could see £2000+ disappearing on it easily to bring it back to show condition (if that's what you want). Alternatively, spend a few hundred and run it in 'oily rag' condition !
It looks like you may be needing replacement silencer and wheel rims at the very least - but at least all the tinware appears to be intact and original (perhaps someone more experienced than me will confirm?).

Eamonn
Corners like a Lego man
itma

G80S Value???

Post by itma »

thats the way to find them.
oily rag it and paint the rims black while you sort out the mechanics and decide if you like it.
I`ll double my offer to £100,
last one I had in this condition cost me £1.50. so I`m being generous.
bet the enamel will clean up quite well.
whats the asking price?
lawrence

G80S Value???

Post by lawrence »

That's just about how my twin looked when I found it five years ago, perhaps even a little better. I offered £60 and unfortunately the owner accepted

I wish i had considered the advice given by Ken and Eamonn and left it oily rag, they have so much more character. Still, I'm riding mine through the winters so give it a few years...............

It is going to cost you A LOT more than you pay for it.

By the way, what did you say the owner's phone number was?