G80 Rigid rear stand wobbly

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

The threads in the frame are stripped and the holes in the stand are worn so the stand flaps a bit as I ride along and wobbles when the bike is on the stand.

What is the best way to fix this? Larger bolts and recut the threads in the frame or re-bush and bring back to original sizes - And does anyone know who to suggest for this type of work as I do not have the welding or engineering expertise to undertake the job!Edited by - Samuel on 27 Jun 2006 12:09:22 PM
Sam
Steve Martin

Post by Steve Martin »

Hello Sam. Either of your suggested solutions could be applied. Depending on the degree of wear in the threads and stand holes, you could increase the bolt size to,say, 9/16". I personally wouldn't want to go any larger for fear of weakening a fairly stressed area. I imagine this would be the cheaper option; but I think I would prefer to play safe and have the threads reconditioned and the holes bushed to the correct size. The appropriate large headed bolts and thin locknuts are, I presume, still available.

I assume you could ride the machine to a suitable firm. With luck the threads could be repaired without dismantling the machine, while the stand could be removed for welding and re-drilling. It shouldn't be a major job for a competent firm.

Have you come across 'Engineering Solutions [Bexley] Ltd' [01322 553773]? They are in your general area, and their advert in OBM includes, 'Re-threading/inserts, bushes etc'. I've not needed to use them, but they would be worth a ring.

I'm having some work done by 'Elk Engineering' [Hastings, 07986 254144]. He's a very pleasant and helpful chap, and from what I saw he would be well up to your job, [but a bit of a journey!]

Best of luck, Steve.
itma

Post by itma »

I would suggest the best way to deal with this is to bore the old oval holes out and fill with a suitable blank to revert to original.
however DO NOT weld, it should be brazed.
Myself, I would braze in a flanged insert; flange on the inside,and make up some slightly longer bolts; also have a grease nipple fitted to the bolt head.While you are doing things at that end,I advise having a look at the bit where the stand abuts to the frame, invariably its hammered and can do with being formed, a bit brazed on to form a pad.

The ends of the stand forming the eye should be square with the frame.

Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Thanks for your resposes. I have already sourced replacement bolts and nuts from Russell Motors in Clapham Junction.

The stand is in need of building up as you suggest. In addition to a grease nipple in bolt head, I assume you would also need to cross drill the bolt (where and what size ?) in order to let the grease get at the stand bush.
Sam
itma

Post by itma »

a hole about 1/16 will be adequate, should come out in the middle of the stand eye, from the unthreaded bit of the bolt. Also useful is if the new bolts are long enough to get a washer under the bolt head, not all replace bolts were .
I was referring more to the ends of the frame than the stand itself, being in need of building up