G80s 1954 front wheel bearings - size

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

G80s 1954 front wheel bearings - size

Post by StephenG80 »

Just come back from a wee run round Argyll to find I have a pretty rough front wheel bearing. I can't find them for sale in club spares so was wondering in anyone knows the size of them so I can order new ones and cups from elsewhere before dismantling. Also what is the recommended end float when all tightened up?
Capture.JPG
Thanks in advance. :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aobp11

Re: G80s 1954 front wheel bearings - size

Post by aobp11 »

Stephen, wish it was as easy as that! No, the inner "race" is a ridge on the axle itself, so not a replaceable bearing part. The spares scheme used to sell replacement cartidges "900659 REPLACEMENT FR WHEEL SPINDLE" which replace the whole front wheel axle and bearings. These came from Andrews Engineering, don't know if these are still in production. There seem to be other solutions as well.

Albert
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

aobp11 wrote:Stephen, wish it was as easy as that! No, the inner "race" is a ridge on the axle itself, so not a replaceable bearing part. The spares scheme used to sell replacement cartidges "900659 REPLACEMENT FR WHEEL SPINDLE" which replace the whole front wheel axle and bearings. These came from Andrews Engineering, don't know if these are still in production. There seem to be other solutions as well.

Albert
Ah right - that is a bind! :roll: - no doubt lots of threads on the "other" solutions - I'll have search but if you know where they are please point me in the right direction.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

012825 is a complete spindle unit with bearings. It states spindle with bearings in the parts list. That's why the parts list only states one off. AMC Classic spares stock a modified set priced £130 inc VAT. Because they are an assembly, they have never been cheap. I recall replacing a set early 1960's. Cost me about £12 I think. £2-2-7 would have been 17 hours of my pay in 1955 Your instruction book will state bearing adjustment, from memory tighten up bearing the back off a bit until a slight movement is felt. Grab the tyres to feel movement. Grabbing spokes will feel less movement, than grabbing tyres, but move felt grabbing spokes, may result in too much movement. Don't forget new oil seals if yours are no good.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Stephen, as other, wiser, people have said, the original front axle is a self-contained unit. It also uses non-standard outer races, so you cannot separate the outers from a set of similar size taper roller bearings and use them. In my experience these axles regularly turn up at autojumbles at around a tenner each, and you can normally see the inner tracks and rollers condition. Cheers,
Andy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The replacement cassette assembly doesn't use taper bearings so no adjustment is necessary.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

It may be worth just dismantlling, thoroughly cleaning and regreasing. I'm still using the wheel bearings that came with the Matchless in mid 1970's. The fronts spins forever with the Matchless on the (Rob Swift) stand although if one holds the mudguard there is a hint of roughness.

I have every so often cleaned and re-greased and made sure that they are adjusted with the "barely perceptible play" as I think it says in the manual from memory. That's critical. Roller bearings too tight will suffer

I'm planning some work on the forks this winter and will follow my own advice, above, and expect that they run for a long time yet.

Good luck.

Johnny B
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

56G80S wrote:It may be worth just dismantlling, thoroughly cleaning and regreasing. I'm still using the wheel bearings that came with the Matchless in mid 1970's. The fronts spins forever with the Matchless on the (Rob Swift) stand although if one holds the mudguard there is a hint of roughness.

I have every so often cleaned and re-greased and made sure that they are adjusted with the "barely perceptible play" as I think it says in the manual from memory. That's critical. Roller bearings too tight will suffer

I'm planning some work on the forks this winter and will follow my own advice, above, and expect that they run for a long time yet.

Good luck.

Johnny B
Thanks Johnny - I spoke to Steve at AMC spares and he also re-assured me that often a good clean and re-grease is all that is needed. The wheel runs, as you say, forever, but there is a definite rumble going on. I am probably overly paranoid but the last time I heard a rumble like that in a wheel bearing was on the rear of my Shovel - which promptly seized up in the fast lane of the motorway - somehow I kept her up but left about a 100m snake on the road of black rubber 8-) - however I have been assured that it won't seize due to the design. So a quick strip, clean, inspect and as long as nothing too serious, then re-assembly and more miles. :beer: