Burman CP K/start cover refitting

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
hatrack

Burman CP K/start cover refitting

Post by hatrack »

Having got most of the gearbox back together last winter, I got distracted by so many things that needed attention around the back end of the 1947/48 G80. Chain alignment, rear brake and many different points of wear and tear, often delayed by parts that would not fit as they should.
All that is now sorted, so I got back to fitting the gearbox outer cover with kick start, clutch op. and gear selection inside.
Problem is, with all assembled according to F.W.Neil's manual, gear change quadrant timed, kick start wound up etc. the cover goes on, but only so far.
Every time there is about a 7mm gap.
Neil seems to mention this possibility, as he says "If the cover does not go fully home this may be due to the rocking pawl being out of position (work the pedal up and down) or the slot in the short push rod engaging withe the clutch operating lever.
Its not the slot in the push rod not engaging in the clutch op lever.
So I tried working the pedal up and down. But I got very little movement on the gear pedal and it achieves nothing.
In these struggles I have broken 2 new cover gaskets and have just one left to use.
I have made about 6 attempts with the same result each time, so there is almost certainly something that I'm not doing right, so help, Please!
hatrack

Re: Burman CP K/start cover refitting

Post by hatrack »

Anybody?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

hatrack wrote:Anybody?
Post some photos :geek:
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
clive

Post by clive »

Sounds like the pin for the gear change is not engaged properly. The unit with the springs and little squares has pin on it. This can sometimes come loose and move to the wrong side. Cannot remember which is the correct side but it should not be able to move. Sorted mine many years ago by simply taking the pin Out and putting ridges in it with a gripping tool before replacing it. Guess a semi permanent lock tight would be better. The lack of gear change would tend to confirm this. Try fiddling then replacing with both kick start (to wind up spring) and gear change lever ( to allow you to centre the spring box) in place. If you find it all goes home then use your gasket. Personally I have always just used gasket goo without the gasket.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Thanks Clive
If that is part number CO-62-1 "Peg, for gear indexing pawl" ?
I got hopeful, but when I looked its not at all loose. So my problem continues.

Thanks also cfaber, but I don't see what posting a photo will achieve. Photo of the cover not quite in place with a 7mm gap, but not showing what the problemis inside? Or a photo of the internal mechanism all arranged as it should be according to diagrams? And in any case, I don't know how to post such pictures.

Having had another go today, I am at my wits end. Anybody know a place that really understands Burman boxes who could check it over? I looked up Draganfly who do Burman parts but the don't do repairs.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

First step is identifying what's keeping the cover proud, maybe paint the ends of the shafts with dycem and see where/what transfers?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Peter, I'm currently assembling a '47 Burman CP with a problem in the Ratchet Quadrant CO-51-6. Your box may have a similar problem. Attached are two images and a youtube video which may help you.

Best Wishes,
Dick Casey

IMG_7557.jpg
IMG_7567.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Casey
The RideNut