Part number confusion.... ?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Part number confusion.... ?

Post by Pharisee »

I'm needing the screws that secure the timing gear / ignition points covers (inner and outer) on a 1960 M18.
According to the parts list, the 5 screws for the inner cover are part no. 000482 and the 2 screws for the outer cover are part no. 000453.
Parts list.jpg
However, looking them up at AMOC Spares, 000482 comes up as "Gearbox outer cover screw, AMC" and 000453 comes up as "Screw for twin oil pump".

Would I be right in assuming that these screws are used in both applications but AMOC Spares have only listed them for one of the applications?

Would anyone know the length and thread of the 5 inner cover screws?

Cheers
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Re: Part number confusion.... ?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Same part in two locations - the screws are 1/4" BSF x 1"

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Re: Part number confusion.... ?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Many standard fittings are used in many places on a bike. Take a simple 1/4" 26TPI nut for example.
Some of these standard fittings were used from 1920's onwards. So not only used in different places on the bike, also used on different years / models. You can spot standard fittings by the part number. It will start with at least three zero's 000001 upwards to 000909. Not sure if they got any higher. These are new pt. no's which replaced old part numbers circa 1951. Prior to that the old pt. no. was prefixed STD ( standard ) just replace the zero's with STD to discover the old pre circa 1952 p. no. eg STD 1 up to about STD 909. Some non standard parts were used in more than one place, like the 1935 to 1956 oil tank chrome fitting that secures the oil filter. Which was also used in 1939/40 as a rocker inspection cap. A lot of people with those old bikes hunt high and low for those missing caps, not knowing their most common use over many years. So repros very easy to come by.