Timing sprockets

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
adz25

Timing sprockets

Post by adz25 »

Hi,

Can anyone provide me with the dimensions/difference/ between the two timing sprockets on a 53 m18 please? I have done a search but can't seem to come up with a definitive answer.

I have one sprocket which has 17 teeth, and was attached to the cam. This really means nothing as it was a basket case so can't be sure if it is a magneto or camshaft sprocket. Just need to figure out which one I need without the mega expense of 2 new ones!

I bought what I thought was a pair for my bike from a seller, but they don't seem to fit too well, they are the right taper but fit too close to the cases. They only have 15 teeth too!

Many thanks

Adam
adz25

Re: Timing sprockets

Post by adz25 »

For reference the difference in dimensions are magneto .576 inch and cam .620 inch. This dimension is of course the measurement of the thickest portion of each sprocket.

Regards

Adam
raffles

Post by raffles »

Adam
go along to a Fennrunners section club night I am sure you will find someone to help solve you problems
maybe even sell you the correct parts if yours are not correct.
Tony
adz25

Post by adz25 »

Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I had been a few years ago to a meet, and they are certainly a great bunch. Sadly I can't make their meets as I have my 2 young children to look after in the evenings.

So the forum and wanted section are my best friends for now!

Regards

Adam