Gearbox number suffix

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
OEW591

Gearbox number suffix

Post by OEW591 »

While tinkering with my 1963 Model 18 today I notice that the AMC gearbox number has a G suffix. I have seen others with an R and I think an S but not seen G before. I had a quick search of the technical articles but didn't find anything. Any one know what the G is for?
Pharisee

Re: Gearbox number suffix

Post by Pharisee »

My AMC gearbox doesn't have a suffix. It has an "M" prefix which I believe means it was originally fitted to a Matchless but I actually got if off a 1960 M18 AJS.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Fairly sure (not near enough to check at the moment) that my ‘58 16m has a M prefixed AMC gearbox and that's the one it left the factory with according to the dating cert'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

On registers nearly all AMC boxes have M prefix, I found only one MA and one N on Matchless machines. AJS also all M except one MA.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Both AJS and Matchless bikes were originally fitted with M prefix AMC gearboxes and this was changed to MA prefix around 1963, Norton machines had N and NA prefixes for the same dates due to different mounting bosses on the outer case but the question referred to the suffix letter at the end of the gearbox number. I understood that R,S &T suffixes meant CSR , Scrambles and Trials gearing respectively but G is an odd one.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Reynard24 wrote:Both AJS and Matchless bikes were originally fitted with M prefix AMC gearboxes and this was changed to MA prefix around 1963, Norton machines had N and NA prefixes for the same dates due to different mounting bosses on the outer case but the question referred to the suffix letter at the end of the gearbox number. I understood that R,S &T suffixes meant CSR , Scrambles and Trials gearing respectively but G is an odd one.
That seems to agree with what I found. It was all M's until bottom of the lists, where I saw MA or other, which would have been the later years.