Help with a frame number?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

Re: Help with a frame number?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Matt Durkin wrote:Bugger!!

I need a front frame loop for 58 G80.

I've emailed AMC spares a couple of times after looking at their list online but no reply yet.

I really don't fancy a Q plate for this nightmare of a bitsa. :?
That should do your 500. My frame's stamped for a G3 but I've got a 500 lump in it.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

I've been reliably informed that I might struggle getting mine dated as it's currently sat if I recall, in a G9 frame, but rest of parts are predominantly G80.
It's taken a back seat at minute due to other personal commitments but I've been wittering about it for many months now, when I finally get back on with it I'm unsure what to do.
I didnt really want a Q plate, but I hear of many people, just like you now, who have a mismatch of model frame and engines but yet have it registered.

Mine has been built from a collection of spares and not as a previous complete bike, my first ever bike, but the shine is rapidly going off the idea now due to the minefield I'm expecting getting it registered. :headbang:
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

So you buy the G9, transfer the engine number, get the reg!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

You are dating the frame. You need an almost or completely assembled bike. If all the other parts are age appropriate then talk to the club dating officer.He will tell you what will be required to get an age related plate for your bike. Its not difficult, just takes time.
Be reliably informed by the one who knows.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Year of manufacture will be that of the frame. Avoid modifications, the bike needs to be as complete with all period parts. This could also cause a problem with insurance, modifications must be disclosed. I often see modifications justified as being sensible, better than when the bike was new etc. Best wait till you make a claim, and see if your insurance co. agrees with that, in particular if you have not disclosed modifications.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Matt Durkin wrote:I've been reliably informed that I might struggle getting mine dated as it's currently sat if I recall, in a G9 frame, but rest of parts are predominantly G80.
It's taken a back seat at minute due to other personal commitments but I've been wittering about it for many months now, when I finally get back on with it I'm unsure what to do.
I didnt really want a Q plate, but I hear of many people, just like you now, who have a mismatch of model frame and engines but yet have it registered.

Mine has been built from a collection of spares and not as a previous complete bike, my first ever bike, but the shine is rapidly going off the idea now due to the minefield I'm expecting getting it registered. :headbang:
If we have not talked we need too. Dating officer.
Roy
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

We have talked Roy.
I'm the guy that took over restoring my late fathers bike.
You advised me that I might struggle getting an age related plate as the bulk of the bike is G80 500 single but sat in a 600 twin frame that you kindly researched for me.
It seems my Dad was sold a mismatched frame to the rest of the puzzle he bought in boxes.
Ive put it on the back burner since we talked earlier this year as I'm a bit disheartened at the work my Dad put in, then myself as a complete newbie to classic bikes, to hear that I run the risk of a Q plate.
I read that there are other such bikes out there with similarly mismatched frames and engines but can only assume they have been altered after already been registered.
I've kept on the lookout for a frame loop as per your advice, another is listed currently on eBay with a number of 96801.
How do I pay for the dating service please?
Please forgive my apparent ignorance and lack of knowledge, I'm learning here.
Kind regards.
Matt.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Go to the following link:

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

Rob C
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Matt it would be best if you Call me number in the Jampot page 2
Roy
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

G15 Roy wrote:Matt it would be best if you Call me number in the Jampot page 2
Thanks Roy, I'll give you a bell again when I've got everything together, paperwork, receipts, photos etc.
Just in the middle of a house move. :| (