Oil lines question

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Spanielsam

Oil lines question

Post by Spanielsam »

Hello

I would appreciate a bit of clarification please

My 1956 G80S is very temperamental about whether it wants to flood the crankcases with oil and spit oil out of the breather - or run perfectly well ?
I have replaced the pump plunger and pin that makes it oscilate etc and oil does return to the tank all the time but i suspect at not the correct rate. The front pump cover does leak a little as the threads are not good and this needs addressing

I decided to go back to basics and check the oil lines after reading several threads on here and i am a little condused

The oil feed from the back tube on the tank goes to the lower threaded position in the crankcase and the oil return to the tank goes from the top position on the crankcase to the front tube on the tank
I think this is correct ?
The oil feed to the engine from the tank uses a metal tube which looks like part number 022244 in the parts manual but is described as "pipe oil return " and i have a rubber tube acting as the oil return - so it looks like i have the metal tube on the feed rather than the return , but the connections to the crankcase and adapter that fits in the crankcase look different and not interchangeable ?
Do you think that this could be an issue ?
There looks like there should be a gauze filter inside the feed tube inside the tank, do you just "fish" it out ? i am not sure I have one in mine

Many Thanks in advance
Trevor
Mick D

Re: Oil lines question

Post by Mick D »

Hi
Spanielsam wrote:The oil feed from the back tube on the tank goes to the lower threaded position in the crankcase and the oil return to the tank goes from the top position on the crankcase to the front tube on the tank I think this is correct ?
Yes - correct
Spanielsam wrote:The oil feed to the engine from the tank uses a metal tube which looks like part number 022244 in the parts manual but is described as "pipe oil return " and i have a rubber tube acting as the oil return - so it looks like i have the metal tube on the feed rather than the return , but the connections to the crankcase and adapter that fits in the crankcase look different and not interchangeable ?Do you think that this could be an issue ?
It looks like the descriptions in the parts manual don't correspond to the illustration, however if the pipelines are connected in accordance with the owners manual you are correct.
Spanielsam wrote:There looks like there should be a gauze filter inside the feed tube inside the tank, do you just "fish" it out ? i am not sure I have one in mine
Yes you should have a strainer - whip the feed pipe off of the oil tank, if you can't see the strainer up inside the tank have a look down the pipe, sometimes the strainer is placed the other way up and inserted into the pipe as opposed to being inside the tank.

Regards Mick
Spanielsam

Re: Oil lines question

Post by Spanielsam »

Many thanks for the response, i was hoping i had done something daft