Help identifying my barn find

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
catchitingear

Help identifying my barn find

Post by catchitingear »

Hello,
New member here. I need some help identifying this bike that I just picked up. Barn find. Engine says 47 G80L. I want to post a picture but don't know how.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Help identifying my barn find

Post by Eamonn »

Hello Jeff,

Only full club members can post pictures in the Forum. However, if the picture is hosted on another web system (such as Picasa, Photobox, etc) you can put a link on your Forum message pointing us to where the picture resides.

If the engine designation is "47 G80L", that would indicate the engine is from 1947 and is a Matchless 500cc single (G80). Whether the frame matches the engine is a different matter!
If you have the frame number, you can get it checked online for a small fee at : http://dating.ajs-matchless.com
Using that facility you will have the manufacturer name confirmed (either AJS or Matchless), the year of manufacture, the model and if there is any extra information available.
The full machine dating service is available if you should want it - full details can be found at www.jampot.com/dating.asp
Corners like a Lego man
catchitingear

Re: Help identifying my barn find

Post by catchitingear »

Well, it's hard to read but looking at some pictures that I've taken it looks like 3992. It's not a rigid frame. There is a swing arm and rear shocks. It's pretty rough. I have photobucket I think. I'll check into that.