1955 18CS - Exhaust Pipe Puzzle

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Halfwhelk

1955 18CS - Exhaust Pipe Puzzle

Post by Halfwhelk »

I have a new exhaust pipe which I am trying to fit to my recently acquired 18CS.
On offering it up to see how it will fit its clear that the footrest casting is in the way.
Before I start taking stuff off etc. and potentially ruining my chances of returning it
Can you tell me please: Will it fit?
Does it go into the space between the footrest and the gearbox? How??

If it won't fit, whats wrong?
The pipe is from Fecked "AJS and Matchless models: G80 Jampot CS 500cc 1951 on Competition style, upswept end, to fit between gearbox and footpeg OEM:..."
The bike is an 1955 18CS.
The AJS Spares list shows the footrests and pipes should be compatible.

Your opinion please Gentlemen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbranni

Re: 1955 18CS - Exhaust Pipe Puzzle

Post by cbranni »

I bought pipe and silencer from Feked and it fitted fine, my bike was a G80CS 1956, I did have to fiddle with the silencer fixing and there is a way of threading the pipe thru the footrest and past the gearbox. Sorry the photo is a bit blurred.

only dead fish go with the flow
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

If I remember correctly I pulled the exhaust side of the bike as close as I could to the edge of the bike lift table, this gives you more room to thread the pipe thru footrest and box, the bend of the pipe starts off as low as possible then as you thread it thru turn it so it becomes vertical. That's the best explanation I can think of sadly.

Colin
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Wrong footrests for the year. Those are for the later models with AMC gearbox. I'll try and get a good snap of the correct type that will allow the pipe to go under the box and over the top of the rest. The genuine article has a deep angled scallop out of the top of the rest for the pipe to go over.
Halfwhelk

Post by Halfwhelk »

@cbranni, Thanks Colin. Did you have to shorten the pipe (about 3 inches ?) to get the tail pipe of the silencer to clear the jampot? The internal baffle prevents me pushing it any further on. Whats the clearance between your suspension and the silencer?

@ajscomboman, Thanks Rob. I'd appreciate the photo. I'm thinking I can cut the footrest casting (forging?) flush with the inner face of the outer bush and make a spacer to hold it further away from the pipe. A bit of metal removal with an angle grinder should provide the necessary additional clearance.

My supposition here is that the correct 1955 footrests are virtually unobtainable and its either modify what I have or fabricate from scratch.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Halfwhelk wrote:@cbranni, Thanks Colin. Did you have to shorten the pipe (about 3 inches ?) to get the tail pipe of the silencer to clear the jampot? The internal baffle prevents me pushing it any further on. Whats the clearance between your suspension and the silencer?

@ajscomboman, Thanks Rob. I'd appreciate the photo. I'm thinking I can cut the footrest casting (forging?) flush with the inner face of the outer bush and make a spacer to hold it further away from the pipe. A bit of metal removal with an angle grinder should provide the necessary additional clearance.

My supposition here is that the correct 1955 footrests are virtually unobtainable and its either modify what I have or fabricate from scratch.
Actually I've seen more 55 footrests than I have the later folding type. I'm out on the CS tomorrow so I'll zap the rests with phone and try and download the pictures asap.
Halfwhelk

Post by Halfwhelk »

Rob,
I may be able to save you the bother.
Are these they?
footrest (3).JPG
footrest (2).JPG
On sale on ebay now for £125.
If these are more common, I may be able to recover the expense by selling mine (possibly at a profit).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

You are right .................I remember cutting off about three inches off the pipe and the clearance around the rear suspension leg is about 1/4", photo below. The footrests in the photo look like the footrests on my bike.

Colin
Halfwhelk

Post by Halfwhelk »

Cool. Thanks Colin.
I'll see what Rob has to say tomorrow but at the moment my plan is to cut the footrest and turn up a spacer. I'll post the results.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

That's them, you can see the deep scallop that gives the clearance. Go for the and sell the others.