1955 18CS - Exhaust Pipe Puzzle

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Halfwhelk

Re: 1955 18CS - Exhaust Pipe Puzzle

Post by Halfwhelk »

I have bought the footrests that were on ebay. I hope they fit.

I put the pipe on this evening and it seems to fit OK. The mounting straps are going to be a bit convoluted, nothing like a 1" wide flat strip with a hole at each end, but thats part of the fun I suppose.

Colin, whats the orientation of the stud on your exhaust pipe? I can only get proper clearance from the jampot with the stud at 12 o'clock. Not ideal, but better than trying to change the curve of the pipe.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

This is a photo of the exhaust pipe bracket.......

....and this is a photo of the silencer fixing bracket, hope this helps

I had the fixing stud on the silencer at 12 o clock, just made fitting easier but it is a metric nut.
only dead fish go with the flow
Halfwhelk

Post by Halfwhelk »

OK. Thanks. Same as mine then.
I note your propstand spring hooks onto a small plate on the same stud. Do you know about the holes in the frame to locate the spring?
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ng#p193668
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

My other heavyweights have the two holes for the prop stand spring but this frame didn't, whether holes weren't put in competition frames I don't know, was no sign of them when I sprayed the frame, hence the bracket.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

My other heavyweights have the two holes for the prop stand spring but this frame didn't, whether holes weren't put in competition frames I don't know, was no sign of them when I sprayed the frame, hence the bracket.
The sump plate would also make using them (if they were there) difficult.
Halfwhelk

Post by Halfwhelk »

How it should be...
Rob sent me these images of the standard upswept pipe which I said I would downscale and post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Halfwhelk

Post by Halfwhelk »

And mine turned out like this..
I fitted the correct footrests, I still had to remove a considerable amount of metal from the 'scallop' in the footrest casting to get the pipe to fit between the footrest and the gearbox.
The silencer has to be mounted with the stud upppermost otherwise it wont clear the jampot.
Looking at the slash cut on the end of the silencer I conclude that it should be mounted with the stud pointing horizontally towards the wheel. I dont think therefore that the downpipe is correctly bent. The final curve should be slightly less pronounced. Both the silencer and the downpipe are from Fecked.

Still, it fits ok now despite that. I have used a 22mm canopy clamp to fix the silencer (temporarily) until I get a lug welded - I'm not committing myself yet...
I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

After about 100 hours of general fettling and de-bodging I had my first ride on my new bike this afternoon and my first ever ride on an AJS (of any kind). They are quite nice aren't they?. I'm pleased with my acquisition. Still lots of work to do.

Cheers
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.