Rubber Oil Pipe

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Halfwhelk

Rubber Oil Pipe

Post by Halfwhelk »

I need to replace the rubber oil pipes from the tank to the feed lines.
I bought some likely looking pipe, but it's too small and being high pressure hose it is reluctant to stretch.
On enquiring to AMOC spares I was told
a) The oil pipe kit is out of stock and unlikely to be stocked any time soon
b) You need imperial pipe as the available metric pipe is either too big (blows off) or too small (restricts oil flow).

This must be a common problem. Whats the solution please?

Matt
Rob Harknett

Re: Rubber Oil Pipe

Post by Rob Harknett »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Mtr-Cotton ... rk:16:pf:0
Check sizes, perhaps go .5mm bigger. Perhaps take a fitting with you to your local supplier ask for pipe to fit this.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I used some stainless steel braid covered rubber on my AJS. It came from a supplier on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-St ... 0978824768
18S_2307.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I got some but couldn't stop the ends from fraying. What do you do to counteract this?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Spooky

I found the best way is to bind some insulation tape around the pipe where it needs to be cut and then put it in the vice and cut through the pipe and tape with a junior hacksaw (leave the remaining tape on to hold the ends together).
Then use a finisher which is a rubber sleeve combined with a "jubilee" clip, or use the collets which are compressed on using a swaging tool.
I have found that a piece of 15mm copper pipe works with smaller fuel line with a home made swaging tool.
In all cases, make sure to leave the insulation tape on under the finishers or collets or they will be really difficult to fit - DAMHIK!
Have a look at Feked - they list the swager and collets.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Thanks, much appreciated. :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

spookefoote1956 wrote:I got some but couldn't stop the ends from fraying. What do you do to counteract this?
I put a couple of short pieces of heat shrink tubing over the oil pipe. Once it was cut to length, slid the heat shrink tube up to the ends of the oil pipe and shrunk them. Tightened the stainless Jubilee clips onto that.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A Stanley knife with a good new blade, not cheap thin one that will bend, will cut cleaner. Handy if you have a piece of dowel in the vice to plug the tube on, so you can rotate the pipe to cut square. If using a Junior hacksaw, tidy the cut up with a lighter. It will soften the fibres. Best if you have a bit of non threaded bolt in the tube, push in against softened end to compress. I also do that to Nylon rope to stop ends fraying. To do that I put the rope in a washer hole, to hold it together. Or use the old boy scouts method off binding the rope ends with twine then heat seal as well. You either know how to do that or not. I am not going to try and explain with words how to do it, pictures teach better.