Tyres/wheels

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
RogGillingham

Tyres/wheels

Post by RogGillingham »

Good morning all. Second post after magneto info which was most helpful. Restoration of Dads 1951 18S going well, nearly at getting the engine started, just waiting for carburettor to come back from being cleaned. Whilst waiting I'm looking at wheels/tyres/tubes. Original tyres are Dunlop Universals but need replacing, 19 x 350. I've ordered some bits from AMOC (which incidentally were ordered on the Friday afternoon and were delivered through my letterbox on the Saturday - brilliant service!!) and see I can order tyres, tubes, tape etc through them. I haven't got a clue about which tyres to go for. I intend riding it for pleasure and guess No 1 priority has to be safety. Any recommendations, budget not an issue, just want the best for the job.
Also have an issue getting the caps off the ends of the front forks to remove front wheel. Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks. Roger
If no reply - Gone fishing!
g80csp11

Re: Tyres/wheels

Post by g80csp11 »

normally you would have 3.25 x 19 on the front and 3.5 x 19 on the rear
I use Dunlop K70's for both with good quality inner tube ie Michelin
Mitas are an option , but have much softer side walls
personally I fit K70 s to all my bikes
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Remove the nuts and lock washers from each cap, spray penetrating fluid up the studs, gently tap the caps forward, backwards and side to side with a nylon hammer, (or a normal hammer via a block of wood to prevent marking the caps), persevere a little, they will move ;)

Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you're after the 'period' look consider Avon Speedmasters, ribbed front and block rear in the sizes mentioned above.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Don't go by the pressures shown in the Owners Manual as they are far too low!
I (at 145lbs :) ) use around 26psi front and 28 rear on modern tyres.
Owners Manual here if you don't have it:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mick D wrote:Hi

If you're after the 'period' look consider Avon Speedmasters, ribbed front and block rear in the sizes mentioned above.

Regards Mick
And modern Speedmasters use better, softer, grippier rubber than the old originals. This is why, as Spriddler says, you need higher pressures than those stated in the handbook. Alternatively, a number of people on here, me included, have had very good results from Avon Road Riders. They don't have the period look but they handle very well.

Malc
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

I have found Heidenau tyres to be very good; K44 front and K34 rear.
RogGillingham

Post by RogGillingham »

Most helpful guys, I have new tyres, went for Dunlop K70's, tubes etc but still struggling to get front wheel off. I am now the proud owner of a nylon hammer but still no joy so a little heat will be applied!
If no reply - Gone fishing!