G80S downtube / bottom rail bolt

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've done so much work on my old G80S, from re-assembling the crank through to riding it for over 100K; but I always struggle to get this bolt in, through the case and out the other side. Perhaps it's because I put the whole engine in on my own and not build up in the frame? It seemed heavier to lift this time, or perhaps it's the 30 odd years between me buying it and now. This time I tried doing it before getting to rolling chassis stage, but it was difficult.

How do others manage?
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

With difficulty. The front half of the frame always seems to spring away from the engine and lower rails. I find the best way is to leave everything loose, with a jack under the crankcase so that the front wheel is off of the ground, this way the front frame closes up towards the engine.

itma

Post by itma »

Or use a piece of bar ground to a long taper as a spike to line the lot up before putting the bottom stud in from the opposite side; it is a big help to loosen all nuts off as Alan suggests
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Wasn't really a suggestion,'twas an order!!

itma

Post by itma »

stand by yer beds yer `orrible lot!!!
``SHUN!!!!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Tanks, everyone. To close off - I should've got the suspenders and wheels on (calm) first. Thought I'd try a new option but a mistake I won't make again. Make up a puller for the fork tubes at the week-end!

JDB