Chain case repair and query

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
asterysk_usa

Re: Chain case repair and query

Post by asterysk_usa »

ajscomboman wrote:. A dished competition deflector plate can be fitted between the gearbox sprocket nut and sprocket, and on the rear of the case either a felt or leather washer can be fixed with contact adhesive.
By any chance do you have a photo of the competition deflector plate ?
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

AMC Classic Spares cater for this as Steven loves the comp models. Not sure how many he has left though. As for a picture I don't have one and trying to get a camera in there is a no go.

Pt No. 018494 Water deflector, fits under 11-11-1 gearbox sprocket nut. Covers large hole in chaincase,
preventing ingress of water and mud. Originally fitted to 1952-56 competition models
with B52 gearbox but also suitable for road models with B52

Pt No. 011312 Water deflector, fits under 176-X gearbox sprocket nut. Covers large hole in chaincase,
preventing ingress of water and mud. Originally fitted to competition models with CP
gearbox but also suitable for road models with CP
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Thanks for the info. Andy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rather looks as if I'll not be able to do that as I've retro fitted an AMC box in the 1956 G80S.

Just about to start work (remote access) from home and with that and getting the Rover 75 back on the road (new high pressure fuel pump and hydramount) haven't started on the timing side bush on the Matchless. On the other hand, maybe put the B52 back in while the engine is out, so thanks Rob. Just have to re-adjust to ponderous gearchanges.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

The "round boss" on mine was coming away when I first built the beast in 1985. I could have silver soldered it but used a metal appropriate epoxy resin. It appears to have lasted the test of time. :beer: :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein