spring for rear stand on rigid G3L, G80L

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
arthurmatchless

spring for rear stand on rigid G3L, G80L

Post by arthurmatchless »

Apologies if this has been covered before. I am rebuilding my bike (1946 rigid Matchless) from scratch and have had the frame powder coated. I decided to buy a new spring and bolts for the rear stand but now am wondering how I can fit the spring which is obviously much shorter than the distance between the spigot on the frame and the rear stand. Is a special tool needed? Removing the old one was reasonably easy using the trick of inserting coins in the coils of the spring. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
SPRIDDLER

Re: spring for rear stand on rigid G3L, G80L

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You must have a very strong spring. I fitted one on my '47 by heaving on a loop of cord (fed through a bit of fuel pipe as a hand grip) and hooked onto the end of the spring to stretch it into place.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I have done 3 fairly recently using washers. You have to be careful if the springs are painted, I have read that you can use pieces of plastic, maybe big cable ties. It's a tedious business bending the spring one way then the other to insert from each side. But it does work.
Stan
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I use a loop of para cord and a piece of wood as a handle or lever depending on how strong the spring is.

These were on offer from Venhill recently, https://www.venhill.co.uk/tools/long-sh ... -vt11.html so bought one.
Spring Hook.png
Only used it once so far but seems quite handy.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arthurmatchless

Post by arthurmatchless »

Thanks for you helps guys.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

I have one of these tools that came with a trampoline but there is no way that I can even begin to stretch my new spring for my 1949 that is at least 1/2" shorter than the one on my 1950 model 18 . Even bending it to try to wedge cable ties in between the coils is very difficult. The spring has to be stretched over 1 1/4" to get it to fit. Plumstead must have had some very strong workers back in the day, or maybe my arms have got a lot weaker in my old age :( Does it matter which way round the spring is fitted?