Kick starting my 18s

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
eagle56

Kick starting my 18s

Post by eagle56 »

how can i tell when the engine is on the compression stroke
ometimes I can start it first times others can several kicks and Im not sure if Im kicking it over correctly.

steve

PS

Insurance on E Bike is £67 0-5000 miles is this good
itma

Kick starting my 18s

Post by itma »

as you kick it over listen for the "suck" of the carb; the bump you hit after is compression on the firing stroke, use the valve lifter to ease over this bump, return kickstart to the top and administer the famous `long swinging kick`
Biscuit
Deceased

Kick starting my 18s

Post by Biscuit »

THis must be a wind up surely.

ant

Kick starting my 18s

Post by ant »

Why?
Biscuit
Deceased

Kick starting my 18s

Post by Biscuit »

Because I find it unbelievable that even the very inexperienced are not able to detect when the engine is on compression.

itma

Kick starting my 18s

Post by itma »

Maybe its so worn it has none?
I suspect Alan he may be one of those who have not mastered the use of the valve lifter?
Lost track of the number of times I`ve seen someone frantically kicking and lifting the valve lift randomly.
Biscuit
Deceased

Kick starting my 18s

Post by Biscuit »

If you have no success using the correct method outlined by Itma, try this, raise the valve lifter,and holding raised give the long swinging kick, NOTE no halfhearted jabs from the knee, as you reach the end of the swing, drop the valve lifter. Never fails on the G3

TommoT

Kick starting my 18s

Post by TommoT »

...as is usual Alan touches on something very important, when attempting to start a longstroke single: determination. Never just dab the kickstarter, with a soft or imprecise kick! Let her know you're the boss, and that not starting is not an option. And then kick hard, with a long swing, following the kickstart through to its' stop. If your engine has normal compression you will not be in doubt about the compression stroke. If your engine feels more or less the same no matter where the piston is positioned, you could have a sticking valve, holed piston, broken piston rings, etc., etc..
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Janet

Kick starting my 18s

Post by Janet »

quote:
Because I find it unbelievable that even the very inexperienced are not able to detect when the engine is on compression.
Isn't this at the point where I leap onto the kick start from a great height to get a lot of oomph and........it doesn't budge?

I pull in the clutch, turn the engine over a bit, take two big breaths and go for it.
itma

Kick starting my 18s

Post by itma »

If you pull in the clutch Janet the engine won`t turn over?
or are we talking super mega LE compression here?
Valve lifter is the little iddy bitty lever usually under the left grip And wheres YOUR avator?