G80CS is now ready to ride...

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

G80CS is now ready to ride...

Post by Pharisee »

... but unfortunately, the Coronavirus pandemic has forced me to put it back in the garage until such time as the restrictions on unessential travel are lifted.
I bought the bike, on an eBay auction, just before Christmas. It had been imported from California and was in pretty good, "original" condition. It wasn't, however, without its problems. The most obvious were the torn seat cover, tyres that were very badly cracked and totally none functioning electrics. Subsequently, the gearbox was found to be leaking oil from between the case and inner cover and the speedometer was broken. Those issues have been addressed and I now have a fully functioning G80CS... I hope!

All the control cables have been replaced, a new AGM battery has been fitted and the bike completely rewired. The old, rubber covered, cables had perished and there were a lot of bare wires where the insulation had cracked off. The headlight has a new 6.1/2" diameter lens/reflector unit and the rear light/number plate are new, although I've kept the original Lucas red plastic lens. The engine starts readily enough and the oil returns to the tank as it should. While I had the gearbox apart to address the leak, the worn detent plunger and selector rod dowels were replaced. The oil seals in the outer cover and the main shaft ball-race in the inner cover were replaced as a matter of course. The primary drive cover was refitted with the improved "T" section seal and has so far proved to be oil tight.

All in all, I've spent just over £900 on parts and service items, the biggest costs being the speedometer refurbishment by Russell at Chronometric Instrument Services, having the dual seat refurbished by Andrew at R.K. Leighton and fitting a pair of Mitas E-05 tyres with Michelin heavy duty inner tubes. Total cost... just under £7K, including delivery. I'm just looking forward to riding it as soon as I'm able.
Picture015.jpg
Picture016.jpg
Picture017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pharisee on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
spookefoote1956

Re: G80CS is now ready to ride...

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Beautiful! :beer: :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Always a perfectionist ! What a beautiful bike, and what a good job done...
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A lovely looking machine, for a very reasonable price really. Well done. Get yourself a rucksack and ride to the shop for some milk or summat - nowt to stop you going the scenic route :D Its not as if youd be stopping off anywhere else is it? ;)

Steve
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Lovely bike and just the right level of restoration, well done. I'm currently battling oil leaks on mine from pretty much everywhere that can leak including the swinging arm! Sorted the rocker box leak last night ‘bodged' in the 60's with copious amounts of Yamabond which had also blocked the inlet valve oil feed drilling.

Iron Head
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Very nice John :beer:

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: