G80 Timing axle thread needs cleaning

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
AyJayBee

G80 Timing axle thread needs cleaning

Post by AyJayBee »

I have a G80, 1961, which has languished dismantled in my shed for many years. Having started to rebuild, I find the LH threads on the timing side axle need cleaning as the nut will not tighten to hold the pinion in place. I have tried a new nut = no better - so need to find a suitable die to clean up the threads. Any suggestions please? Thanks. Tony Betts - contact -ajbselattyn@outlook.com call 01691662587
dave16mct

Re: G80 Timing axle thread needs cleaning

Post by dave16mct »

I would think a thread file would do the job. A L/H die would be expensive and you probably won't use it again.
Dave.
Expat

Post by Expat »

AyJayBee wrote:I have a G80, 1961, which has languished dismantled in my shed for many years. Having started to rebuild, I find the LH threads on the timing side axle need cleaning as the nut will not tighten to hold the pinion in place. I have tried a new nut = no better - so need to find a suitable die to clean up the threads. Any suggestions please? Thanks. Tony Betts - contact -ajbselattyn@outlook.com call 01691662587
Are you saying the nut won't tighten, or that it won't start to screw on?

If the former with a new nut, isn't the thread buggered?

If the latter, then as suggested, a thread file may work.

Btw, are you the Tony Betts that used to work at Sira? Would be a coincidence.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Drunclej

Post by Drunclej »

I bought one of these on ebay..15 quid which cleaned up my threads ok ...7/16" x 26 HSS BSCY (Cycle) Die Left Hand.
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

I have a thread file/restorer, which I find really useful - but use it sparingly. It has 8 different thread pitches to cope with most of the threads our bikes. I have AF & Metric versions as well but use them rarely, but when you need one you need it! Probably came off a well known internet market place..

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.