My toolbox needs saving!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
markwhitelock

My toolbox needs saving!

Post by markwhitelock »

The toolbox on my ‘56 G80S has seen better days, the shed it was dragged out of hadn't been kind to the tinwork. The box is largely solid but the bottom is very rusty with a few holes. I'm not interested in making it pristine, the bike is going to wear its age with pride, but I would like to find a way of fixing the hinge and lid if possible!

Suggestions please....!

Last edited by markwhitelock on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick D

Re: My toolbox needs saving!

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The best method would be to cut out the damage, fabricate an insert and weld it into place - rather a skilled operation and will be expensive to get done correctly if you can't do it yourself.

A more DIY friendly approach would be to de-rust the box and carry out a patch repair. To de-rust it I would use electrolysis, there's plenty of info on the interweb, here for example:

https://www.robotroom.com/Rust-Removal.html

Carefully grind/file off the remnants of the hinge.

Cut some sheet steel to size and profile to cover the base of the toolbox from the inside and a strip to do the same for the lid and bond these into place using epoxy structural adhesive:

https://www.silmid.com/adhesives/epoxy- ... e-6oz-kit/

Fill the outer surfaces in preparation for paint, you can use metalset for this but it does not sand as easily as body filler.

Cut a piece of piano hinge to suit and attach with pop rivets.

Spray black.

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Later tool boxes used a 2 slot and finger arrangement with a loose cover, it might be possible to convert to a similar. For information, the tool box cover does not appear to have flutes on it so it would be a 1956 model year fitting.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I think Duncan is right, it looks the same as my original toolbox. These are hard to come by so I would take steps to save it if you can. Thanks to MickD for the linke to electrically removing rust, I think I shall be giving that a go.

Good luck with the job.

Johnny B
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Duncan wrote:Later tool boxes used a 2 slot and finger arrangement with a loose cover, it might be possible to convert to a similar. For information, the tool box cover does not appear to have flutes on it so it would be a 1956 model year fitting.
Hi Duncan, yes it is a ‘56 bike, I put the wrong year in my post!

The lid does stay on with the screw, but I wouldn't risk putting anything vital in there!! I definitely want to keep it as original as possible.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Have to say (touches wood) that the screw has never come undone on mine and I've done plenty of miles.

In the early days of trips up and down the country that's where my tools were.

With the Al osbourne regulator, the flassher unit and something else which I can't recall offhand, there's not so much room now.

Johnny B
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

I managed to get a '56' Tool box from the Australian Ebay, bit pricy, but left side no flutes, they suffered from rusting due to leaky batteries but examples can be found in dryer climates.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Cjay59 wrote:I managed to get a '56' Tool box from the Australian Ebay, bit pricy, but left side no flutes, they suffered from rusting due to leaky batteries but examples can be found in dryer climates.
One in there now but over £100, bit eye watering
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Disappointed to be proved right. Do the best with what you have is my not very helpful advice. Use MickD's post.

Johnny B
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

Google "Piano hinge" stainless steel one would help to avoid rust.