Headlamp switch - 1955 18S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Jdraper

Headlamp switch - 1955 18S

Post by Jdraper »

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the headlamp switch is attached to the headlamp shell? I have tried to bring the bike back to as standard as I can make it, and the headlamp was one of the items that was never right. I now have the right shell and a new switch, but no idea how it is secured. The switch fits nice and snuggly, but when riding, it bobbles about, so is clearly not secured properly. I have loads of photos of other bikes of this year, but strangely very few of the interior of the shell or how the switch is secured!

I am considering a strong rubber band, but this seems a bit of a bodge..

Jeremy
thornebt

Re: Headlamp switch - 1955 18S

Post by thornebt »

Jdraper wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to how the headlamp switch is attached to the headlamp shell? I have tried to bring the bike back to as standard as I can make it, and the headlamp was one of the items that was never right. I now have the right shell and a new switch, but no idea how it is secured. The switch fits nice and snuggly, but when riding, it bobbles about, so is clearly not secured properly. I have loads of photos of other bikes of this year, but strangely very few of the interior of the shell or how the switch is secured!

I am considering a strong rubber band, but this seems a bit of a bodge..

Jeremy
Is it fixed by a sprung wire clip that slides into a groove in the switch? That's what the one on my G80 is like - but I think I put a thin cable tie around it instead. Cheers. Bruce.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes it's a funny shaped spring. Look in the Lucas parts list (it's near the end). Part no 308234.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... 6-1957.pdf
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

bit of clear silicon sealant does wonders for any vibration problems, bodge though it may be.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Yes, it is the 308236. I made one using some modellers wire and a former made of small nails hammered into a block of wood. I heated the spring wire to untemper it, shaped it and then re-tempered it. It worked for some time but I broke it removing it.

I now realise that I had shaped it incorrectly but my excuse was that I hadn't seen one.

I think that now I would use some silicon coupled with a blade type approach of the right thickness. The spring is a PITA.

Johnny B
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The retaining spring is part no... 308234
Available from club spares for a modest £1.62

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21984
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

Many thanks all contributors. I will order one from club spares.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

And so will I when I place the order for all the other stuff I'll need!

I'll then get rid of all the double sided tape.

Johnny B