New Member - 1961 CS

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Scout63

New Member - 1961 CS

Post by Scout63 »

Hello Everyone. I am a new member living in Massachusetts in the US. I currently own a ‘71 BMW R75/5, ‘72 Norton Commando 750 Interstate, ‘78 Yamaha SR500 and ‘79 Moto Guzzi V1000G5 (under construction as a custom).

Yesterday I purchased a 1961 Matchless G80CS. Here is a picture:

It is in lovely shape and appears to have been carefully restored, but the fuel is old and the carbs were stored wet. I've cleaned out the tank and stripped the carbs. The piston is free and the gearbox shifts well by hand. Tires seem old and have some cracking. The paint is gorgeous:

I'm hoping to start the bike as soon as I get carb parts in and finish checking the bike over. I'd like to use the bike for back and gravel road plonking in the Vermont mountains this summer.

I will have many questions and hope to be able to ask them here. My best to all. Ben Zehnder
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA
1961 Matchless G80CS
1971 BMW R75/5
1972 Norton Commando Combat Interstate
1978 Yamaha SR500
1979 Moto Guzzi V1000G5 - current project
56G80S

Re: New Member - 1961 CS

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Ben, it looks lovely. You aren't yet showing up as a member. Perhaps that's just a lag but if you're not a member of the Club you won't have access to the spares or some parts of the site including technical matters and your presence on the Forum will be time limited.

Although during that time I am sure we'll provide whatever help or guidance we can.

I'm told that your part of the USA is particularly beautiful.

Johnny B
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Nice bike Ben, my favourite AMC model the CS, nice colour to.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:Hi Ben, it looks lovely. You aren't yet showing up as a member. Perhaps that's just a lag but if you're not a member of the Club you won't have access to the spares or some parts of the site including technical matters and your presence on the Forum will be time limited.

Although during that time I am sure we'll provide whatever help or guidance we can.

I'm told that your part of the USA is particularly beautiful.

Johnny B
It is indeed a beautiful part of the US John. I have a cousin that lives in Marblehead and went visiting a few years back. Road trip right up into Vermont down to Connecticut and back into Boston. Highly recommend a visit to that area.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Looks beautiful. Welcome and stay well. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Ben. Lucky chap!
IMHO the G80CS is the most handsome bike ever made...….by anyone.

(Other opinions are available but this one is correct).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Scout63

Post by Scout63 »

I have to agree Spriddler. I find myself wandering into the garage just to look at it. I never thought my Commando would take second place to anything in looks. Here is that bike which I completely rebuilt myself last Fall:

So far I have flushed the fuel tank, stripped the carb, pulled the primary cover and checked the chain, cleaned the cover and put in fresh oil, checked the magneto chain, checked the plug, checked cable operations, checked gearbox and piston action, checked the air filter. I'm waiting for an Amal kit for the carb. I also still need to change the engine and gearbox oil.

The tires are Dunlop Trials Universals and the rear has sidewall cracking. Are these the preferred tires for the bike? A quick check shows that 3.25-19 and 4.00-19 sizes may be hard to source. Are there suitable alternatives that will still look right and perform adequately for around town and dirt road blasting?

I can't wait to start and ride the bike. Registration will take a while. Massachusetts is not registering motorcycles at this time so I will register it in Vermont by mail.

Ben
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA
1961 Matchless G80CS
1971 BMW R75/5
1972 Norton Commando Combat Interstate
1978 Yamaha SR500
1979 Moto Guzzi V1000G5 - current project
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Have a look at Heidenau tyres. I've just fitted 3.25 x 19 front and 3.50x 19 rear to my 18CS. They look like the original Dunlops. Not sure if they do the 4.00 x 19 rear. Mitas also look very good.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Nice Comando (although twins are not my thing ;) )
A couple of points, hopefully before you deal with the oils.
When you drain the g/box be sure to remove the correct bolt (15) and not the cam plate detent assembly (18, 19, 20) as under.
(Illustration from page 22 of the manual here: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... G12CSR.pdf
AMC gbox drain plug.JPG
When you drain the engine oil I assume you will drain the c/case, in which case after refilling the oil will take a while to be seen returning to the tank.
See here: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13368
Your single (with roller and ball main and big end bearings) is supplied by an oscillating plunger type pump, unlike your Commando which has a rotary continuous flow pump necessary for the shell bearings.
The oil will return to the tank (eventually) as a continuous flow once the c/case has filled to the level of the scavenge drilling. However, when the c/case oil level is reduced by the pump it will become more like spurts and bubbles.

If you don't have them, the Owners and Workshop manuals and Parts Lists are here under 'Books'. Plus a great deal more techy and historical info.
http://archives.jampot.dk/

As far as tyres go I'll leave it others to advise as I've only used 'touring' tyres.

Hope I'm not boring you but life is quiet during this virus lockdown. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I agree with Nev , The 61 G80CS is a great bike , 4 of our section had them and love them
Mine , will be exactly like yours when i finish it (currently waiting for enthusiasm to finish , ive done the frame , wheels and forks but stopped at that stage about 14 years ago )
only hope it looks as good as yours when its done

really should get one with it , seeing yours and having loads of time at the present time mightpush it up the list of restorations to do