Electronic Speedometer on a '56 G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Electronic Speedometer on a '56 G80CS

Post by Pharisee »

Purists and rivet counters look away now.... You're not going to like this!!

I've just fitted a new Smiths electronic "Chronometric" speedometer to my 1956 G80CS. There's too much to say about that than would be sensible to post on the forum, but if you're interested, take a look here:-

http://www.whatfunnyhat.com/Frame_Stuff ... meter.html
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
clive

Re: Electronic Speedometer on a '56 G80CS

Post by clive »

Links not working for me
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Works ok for me Clive. That's very interesting. Does it have an odometer and trip?
Dave.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

dave16mct wrote:Works ok for me Clive. That's very interesting. Does it have an odometer and trip?
Dave.
I haven't checked yet but if it's the same as the one fitted to the Bonneville, the single OLED display can be toggled between main odometer and trip odometer. There is a setting input wire which toggles the display and will also reset the trip odometer. You can display one or the other but not both together.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clive wrote:Links not working for me
I've just checked it, Clive, and it works OK when I click on it. Sorry you're having a problem with it.
John
clive

Post by clive »

Its ok now I am on the computer, did not work on my android phone.

Very impressive and possibly a threat to our favourite speedtwin speedo seller. Glad i did up and sold my stock of Chronometrics some years ago. How much did the digital speedo actually cost you, I can find them for around £250 from a quick google search.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clive wrote:Its ok now I am on the computer, did not work on my android phone.

Very impressive and possibly a threat to our favourite speedtwin speedo seller. Glad i did up and sold my stock of Chronometrics some years ago. How much did the digital speedo actually cost you, I can find them for around £250 from a quick google search.
The speedometer, the pulse generator and the voltage converter cost me exactly £300 inc. delivery.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Pharisee wrote:
dave16mct wrote:Works ok for me Clive. That's very interesting. Does it have an odometer and trip?
Dave.
I haven't checked yet but if it's the same as the one fitted to the Bonneville, the single OLED display can be toggled between main odometer and trip odometer. There is a setting input wire which toggles the display and will also reset the trip odometer. You can display one or the other but not both together.
Finally finished the installation and calibration this morning. The information sheet supplied with the Speed Pulse Converter quite clearly states that the output is 6 pulses per revolution. It lied... It is 1 pulse per revolution. That caused a problem to start with as it was only indicating about 10mph at a road speed of 60mph. Having sorted that and fine-tuned the instrument against a GPS receiver, it now works perfectly.

I can also confirm that the odometer can be "toggled" between the main odometer and the trip odometer. The trip odometer can also be reset to zero. You will, however, need a momentary switch or push button connected to the speedometer. On the G80CS, I'm not going to bother with it, i'll just leave it on the main odometer (which is the default when it's powered up). On my Bonneville, however, I fitted a small push-button cluster on the handlebars. (just outboard of the right hand clamp). Two buttons... one for the speedometer and the other to set up the tachometer.
clocks-1.jpg
The
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.