New Rear Mudguard

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
deejaybrown98

New Rear Mudguard

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Hi, bought my loosely built 1954 18s about 18 months ago. After Gearbox rebuild and freeing off the swing arm I'm now trying to re fit the rear mudguard.
It seems to be new but I'm not sure if it was meant for this bike.
IMG_20200607_153417097r.jpg
Non of the holes line up and a PO has butchered some holes to get it mounted. If I use the original holes connecting to the Jampot upper bolts the grab handles don't line up with the mounting holes for the rear part of the mud guard.
IMG_20200607_153107545r.jpg
If I use the new butchered holes at the front, connecting to the swing arm casting, the mudguard sits too low and will foul the swing arm. I guess I will start here with using the original manufactured holes and then do my own butchering to get the other fixing points aligned.
IMG_20200607_152817268r.jpg
Just wondering if anyone knows if this is likely to be a variant for some other bike or is this common for replica tinwork?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Brown
G15 Roy

Re: New Rear Mudguard

Post by G15 Roy »

Looks like it could be from the local Indain takeaway the bottom fixing brackets look wrong.
Roy
deejaybrown98

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Hi Roy,
To be fair, it looks the right shape and good heavy metal. Just seems that the holes are meant to fit something else. Especially the top fixing for the bolt to the cross tube in the frame.
I wondered about the lower fixing brackets. They don't line up from any of the holes.
Are the proper ones a thinner guage? Think I will order some new ones from AMOC spares.
David Brown
bitza

Post by bitza »

You should have stud to pass through the ally mount, the two small brackets are slightly formed at a angle, and the top fixing for the suspension units the mudguard should have reinforcement left to right following to shape of the m/ guard . The two front lower brackets should toe outwards, and bolts are just
Long enough to get the washers and nuts on, they don't protrude very much after tightening.
deejaybrown98

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Hi Bitza,
Yes, the reinforcement strip is there and still covers the new position of the holes. Also a strip at the joint to the rear section of the mud guard and at the front lower fixing to the alloy casting. So all good except for position of holes.
The two brackets are right angles and no where near lining up to the casting. Will try to get the pukka parts.
There is a hole which I think has to line up to the bridge in the frame with bolt 000346 but this is no where near aligned. Will have to drill new hole here.
There are two more holes further up at the top of the mudguard which I'm not sure about. Would these be for the optional pillion seat when a single saddle is fitted?
Many thanks for your help.
David Brown
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

The two holes that go through the bridge are wrong and the bottom section has been
welded all this points to non original.
Roy
bitza

Post by bitza »

Well spotted Roy, you have a lot more knowledge regards the marque than myself.
Looking in my 1953 parts book the lower front end of the guard doe'snt have the flat strip across as appears in the photo. Looks like it's been bodged as Roy pointed out.
Matchbox Kid

Post by Matchbox Kid »

Having not long fitted my 1954 rear mudguard, that looks like it's cracked as mine was and a new bottom section fitted, luckily I just had mine welded. There should be the 2 little 90 degree brackets that bolt to the mudguard and casting to hold the front and then a small hole about 1/3 toward the back to take the bolt that holds the top frame tube to the main mudguard body. Then there should be the 2 large holes that take the bolt between the top jampot mounts and hold the grab rail front fixings, the hole is large to take the sleeve nut that fits on this. At the back of the front piece should also be the holes for the first of the front section bolts at the joint between front and rear mudguard sections. Mine is not fully assembled at the back although the wheel is in the saddle is off, if you want pics let me know.
Paul
deejaybrown98

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Hi, Thanks everybody for the useful info .
The guard is made of the outer pressing and then two side assemblies are welded on.
IMG_20200609_172106553r.jpg
It looks like the profile of the radius to clear the swing arm is welded last. This is very different to the side welds.
I guess that the profile is flatter than intended and results in the two mounting holes being lower than they should be.
IMG_20200609_175140543r.jpg
A PO has 're-manufactured' the holes higher to bring the rear holes closer to where they should be, but this brings the swing arm nearly in to contact with the guard.
IMG_20200609_172055995r.jpg
I will try to assemble it with the original holes at the casting and then see what I have to do to get rear holes in position.
I'm guessing it was made in India with limited tooling so it's really not too bad a deal to have it this close. Does anybody know what happened to AMC original tooling?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Brown
bitza

Post by bitza »

with the grab handles, you open or close them by squeezing or holding the large hole end in the vice and apply a little heat to the tubing, then lay it on a flat surface to check the face of the shocker end and m/ guard joint end are parallel if not tweak the slotted end. I had to do this when fitting mine.
Last edited by bitza on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.