Burman gearbox inner case

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Spanielsam

Burman gearbox inner case

Post by Spanielsam »

Hello all, I have a 1956 G80S that has constantly leaked oil out of the inner Burman gearbox case, it turns out that at some point the kickstart stop has broken off taking the aluminium support with it and the repair has been made by putting a bolt through the back of the case into a steel boss which is acting as the stop, it has come loose and looks a dangerous repair to me ?
I want to try to get a replacement inner case , the parts list gives a part number of G-2-6 but I cannot find one anywhere. Would this part be known by another part number if supplied by Burman or as part of an AJS or other ? There appears to be a few inner cases on e bay etc but all have completely different formats of part numbers

Thanks in advance
Trevor
Mick D

Re: Burman gearbox inner case

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Get in touch with Steve at AMC Classic Spares, he holds stocks of used components and may be able to assist:

http://www.amcclassicspares.com/

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

+1 for Steve Surbey, even handed advice and good service.

Johnny B
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

This is cheap at the moment eBay item number:264787354634. Bit of a waste of the other gearbox casings, but will get you out of trouble
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

here is another eBay item number:153988381354 goes in 2 hours
Spanielsam

Post by Spanielsam »

Thanks for your replies
I have contacted AMC and am waiting for a reply
Will check with e bay seller as the photos don't show the condition of the case insider

Are there loads of different cases or only one for the B52 box ? Every one for sale seems to have different numbers on it
Spanielsam

Post by Spanielsam »

Would this be correct ?
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

At some point in 1954 the layshaft bush in the kickstarter case was lengthened, resulting in change of part numbers from G-2-2 to G-2-6. Whether these 2 types are interchangeable I do not know, but the difference was small - I would guess it's ok to use the later case with an earlier layshaft, but I do not know if there is room to use the later, longer bearing layshaft in the earlier case. I have 2 gearboxes in the garage, one from 1952 (G-2-2), the other from 1955 (G-2-6). The 'boxes have serial numbers which include the calendar year (not the model year). During 1954 Burman also added an inspection hole to the gearbox shell, changing part nos from G-1-2 to G-1-9, but these two components are interchangeable. Hope this helps, Andy
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

At some point, the diameter of the detent plunger for the selector cam changed from 1/2" to 0.512" (13mm). If you manage to source a replacement inner cover, check the detent plunger hole diameter.... you may need a new plunger to suit.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.