1954 G80S sticky kickstart

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
JimFitz

1954 G80S sticky kickstart

Post by JimFitz »

I am slowly coming to the end of my Lockdown bike jobs and the next on the bike lift is my 1954 G80S. Ever since I had the bike the kickstart return has been lazy and needs helping back up to the top when it stops mid way.
I have previously removed the gearbox side plate complete with kickstart lever and it all seemed fairly free but when I refitted it the problem persisted.
I have just been out to the garage and given it another full kick and the lever stopped half way back up. I then pulled the clutch lever and the kickstart smartly returned to the top.
I am not quite sure what that indicates and I am hoping one of our forum gearbox experts can point me in the right direction before I get the spanners out.

Thanks in advance

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Mick D

Re: 1954 G80S sticky kickstart

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Pulling the clutch in exerts outward pressure on the gearbox outer cover, if this frees the kick start to return it suggests the cover is a little too snug, do you ahve a gasket fitted between the outer and inner covers? If not that would be the first thing I'd try.

Regards Mick
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Spot on Mick.
I have just been out to the garage and slightly slackened the allen screws holding the outer cover and the kickstart was returning fine. I retightened the screws a bit at a time while working the kickstart and it now seems to be fine. Perhaps there was a slight misalignment of the cover or someone has refaced the joint surface and taken a little too much off.

There is a gasket fitted but now I know what the problem is, if it re-occurs perhaps I will take the cover off and fit two gaskets to give a little more clearance.

Thanks

Jim

Post by 1608 »

On a Burman GB box ( not sure about other Burman models ) fitting a too thicker gasket to the out cover can cause problems with gear selection. I had this problem on my Ariel and fitting a thin paper gasket fixed the problem. From memory I believe the problem was the result of wear on the selector.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

1608 wrote:On a Burman GB box ( not sure about other Burman models ) fitting a too thicker gasket to the out cover can cause problems with gear selection. I had this problem on my Ariel and fitting a thin paper gasket fixed the problem. From memory I believe the problem was the result of wear on the selector.
Thanks John.
It has a very thin gasket on at the moment. I have just ordered two from Feked as the club spares is out of stock. The Feked ones are blue and it is difficult to see the thickness so I will have to experiment between kickstart return and gear selection and hopefully find a happy medium.

Jim

JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I ended up fitting two gaskets on the outer cover and it seems to have cured the problem and all the gears still select ok.

While the bike was on the lift I decided to change the oil and check for oil leaks underneath. I wish I had checked for leak evidence before putting in the new oil as I found the small screw under the pump on the timing case had a weep. I tried tightening as far as I dared but it still leaked. I thought a new fibre washer may do the trick so I removed the drain screw and a fair bit of oil was coming out. Before I start looking at the archive for information, am I right in assuming that the drain screw connects indirectly to the oil feed pipe so the whole tank will drain if it is removed?
The screw still leaks with the new fibre washer.
My plan is to remove the screw and fit a new one in case the head is deformed or the thread a little undersized and to fit a new washer - any tips on the type - copper perhaps?
I have fitted a fibre washer and when I originally took the screw out there was only a small flat washer under the head.
I was hoping to clean up the mating face which is bored into the crankcase body but it looks like the oil will need to be drained first.

Any tips gratefully received

Jim

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

JimFitz wrote:I have just ordered two from Feked as the club spares is out of stock. The Feked ones are blue and it is difficult to see the thickness so I will have to experiment between kickstart return and gear selection and hopefully find a happy medium.

Jim
They're sat in a box on the counter waiting to be booked in! :(
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Ain't it always the way :cry:

Jim