Oil leak from gear control lever

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Woodland

Oil leak from gear control lever

Post by Woodland »

Hi All
I have a small oil leak from the bush on the front cover of the gearbox, it comes from the gear control lever bush.
I've removed and replaced with a new seal (20-8-9), but still getting a small leak from there? Annoying me slightly!
This I assume is because the oil level with the gearbox full is above this shaft / bush.
I wonder if the spindle for the gear control is slightly worn (G-24-2) or maybe the bush it runs in (20-8-9), has anyone else had this problem?
I will strip apart again and check the spindle size (O/D) verus the bush size (I/D) to see if there is a problem.
Should imagine that a new spindle for the gear control quadrant is hard to get?

Regards
Gary
Andy51

Re: Oil leak from gear control lever

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Gary, I assume you have a B52 'box. I had the same problem a few years ago after a rebuild. The oil seal has a triangular section and it can twist on reassembly and thus leak. Assemble everything without the seal, then slide it carefully down the oiled shaft, checking that it doesn't twist. Prod it into place with eg a small screwdriver, again checking it hasn't twisted. Worked for me, it is unlikely that wear on the shaft/bearing would be severe enough to cause a leak if the seal is fitted properly, the shaft would be waggling about visibly. Cheers, Andy
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Had the same problem recently on my '55 M18S. The gear change shaft was quite badly worn where the seal rubbed, so I fitted a new replacement shaft and seal. That cured the problem.
Draganfly Motorcycles have them is stock (their part number 3718-52) at £60.24 + P&P

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/triumph-sho ... _pathway-2

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Woodland

Post by Woodland »

Many thanks for the replies, think I will take the advice of Pharisee and order in a new part from Dragonfly (3718-52 or AJS part number G-24-2)) as my shaft does look a little worn. Hopefully this will cure the issue, also noticed that the inner gasket (G-5-3) has not been fitted, oil was also weeping here so going to sort this at the same time.
Will let you all know when I have it finally oil tight
Gary