Float height, 1950 Model 18 pre- monobloc

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
G12atlast_LAPSED

Float height, 1950 Model 18 pre- monobloc

Post by G12atlast_LAPSED »

I wonder if anyone has information on the float height, or, even better, how to set the fuel level correctly.

When I first got my 18, starting was virtually impossible with constant flooding. I altered the clip height on the remote float and that seems to have brought some semblance of normality but I'd love to know the procedure for checking fuel level - I can't find it in either manual or handbook, nor on here.

Cheers Simon
bunners

Re: Float height, 1950 Model 18 pre- monobloc

Post by bunners »

Your Carb is what ? top feed or bottom feed?
My G80 is 1949 same carb and I use the lower notch of the two. (Bottom feed) Have not a clue how you can see the level.
Just tickle it 5 maybe 6 tickles no more, prime it by de-compressive 4 or 5 times and it starts.
Simples
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
G12atlast_LAPSED

Post by G12atlast_LAPSED »

Cheers Bunners,
I seem to be getting somewhere - bottom feed carb, I've got mine on the lower notch too and think perhaps I was priming it too much leading to flooding and no go. I seem to have a procedure - tickle three times. prime kick three times, shut air lever, retard ignition, then it starts first or second kick (so far).
The other day I stopped for a horse on a tiny lane. Nice and hot and it refused point blank to start until I'd changed the plug. I would suspect mag but that was rebuilt 16 yrs ago and it's only done 1000m since. I have a big, fat, blue spark.

I suspect it is more likely to be me finding out its foibles and possibly a carburration issue. I'm stripping the carb this weekend - Club manual suggests drilling out the pilot airway with no 66 drill so I'll do that and then work on carb set up.

We'll see what happens - in the meantime, I'm careful to carry the spare plugs and toolkit!!

Simon
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

If they are bottom feed you can take the top off the float chamber and see or measure the level from the top
though I cant remember or find that measurement, I have seen it, don't run the engine with it off though,
Also depending on the model either on the side just over the big brass fitting or under
the flange were it meets the cylinder head there's a tiny hole this is to stop flooding when
the engine is stopped, this hole gets blocked, if this hole is on the engine flange with the
carb off you will see a grove machined at the bottom of the boar this collects excess fuel
and it drains through said hole.

I have a memory not 100% that the level should be half way up the slow running mixture
screw, if you remove the small screw were the float chamber bolts to the mixing chamber
and find a nipple the right thread you can attach a pipe there to get the level.

Look down this thread

http://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/viewt ... t&start=10
Ralph