Winter Storage

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
chaz_lithik

Winter Storage

Post by chaz_lithik »

Hi All

So I'm now looking to put the g80 in to storage for the winter. I'll be keeping her in my garage and I was looking at draining the fuel from the tank. What would be best to run around the tank once empty, ive heard people say some oil, ive heard people talk about tank sealant?

And if oil what oil? Or sealant what sealant?

Ive given a few parts a light coat of wd40 and taken the battery out (which was dead anyway)
Are there any other things you would reccomend for storage?

Thanks

Charlie
56G80S

Re: Winter Storage

Post by 56G80S »

Just saying what I've done previously (and just have again) is to empty the fuel tank, keep it warm to ensure fumes gone, then spray a load of WD40 in then immediately seal up the orifices!

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

My tanks are not rusty inside, I have never drained them over winter. If any moisture get's in, i'm sure it should it float on top of the petrol.
Why not start it or kick the engine over a few times. Keep the main bearings & bore from going rusty. I had main bearings go rusty during one winter.
Made a horrible grinding noise when I turned the engine over.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

For winter storage, I fill the tank with petrol that has been dosed with STA-BIL 22207 fuel stabiliser. I've not had any issues with doing that.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Another advocate of filling the tank to the brim - if there's no air space above the fuel there can be no transfer of moisture from it to the fuel.

I try to start my bikes every few weeks to ensure wet sumping doesn't happen, short runs are a bonus when the weather permits :) ;)

I have a battery 'optimiser' which I also rotate to keep the batteries in condition.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I should make it clear that my procedure is not a regular winter one and I usually just keep the tank full. I keep a couple of cans in the lock up so that I can top up.

Just that this winter the Matchless is in pieces and what I described is what I do when dismantling and expecting not to be on the go again in the short term.

Johnny B
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I try and use mine all year, weather permitting. I do try and keep the fuel tank full, and I guess you could put clingfilm or similar over the filler orifice before refitting the cap if it isn't used, on the basis that the ethanol can't absorb moisture if the moisture can't get in. And my garage has a lot of moisture in the winter...

Malc
deejaybrown98

Post by deejaybrown98 »

I recently finished cleaning out the tank on my 18S.
When I bought it a couple of years ago the inside was dry and rusty and it didn't improve any over the years. :)
I used the recommended method of de-rusting with gravel and vinegar which worked very well and produced mostly clean steel surfaces inside.
Only the flat surface just facing upwards to the filler didn't get fully clean of rust. I couldn't get the gravel to reach that part. Managed to improve it a bit with a high pressure wash.
Once cleaned and dried out with hot water and then hot air paint stripper gun I sprayed WD40 inside to prevent flash rusting.
I have now filled the tank and used Fuel Fit additive from Briggs and Stratton which promises to stabilize petrol for 3 years and to coat metal surfaces to prevent rust from Ethanol-water mix.
Does anybody have any previous experience with this?
So far it is still looking good.
David Brown
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

Rob Harknett wrote:My tanks are not rusty inside, I have never drained them over winter. If any moisture get's in, i'm sure it should it float on top of the petrol.
Why not start it or kick the engine over a few times. Keep the main bearings & bore from going rusty. I had main bearings go rusty during one winter.
Made a horrible grinding noise when I turned the engine over.
I think that petrol floats on water, therefore any water will be at the bottom of the tank where it causes the most damage.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

While looking into ethanol in general I saw mention that Cleveland Discol, which was revered when I was a lad as ‘The Alcohol Fuel' giving you cool running and sporty performance (plus cleaned your engine, and I think cured piles) actually contained Ethanol. Nobody seems to know the concentration or any other additives. I don't remember any complaints about it. I guess most running vehicles were regularly used then, which makes all the difference.
Stan