What size are the three screws that hold the fork shrouds t

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Invicta

What size are the three screws that hold the fork shrouds t

Post by Invicta »

Hi I am having great difficulty in re assembling my fork shrouds after stripping them for a re paint job. The screws just do not seem to be long enough to engage in the threaded holes in the ring at the bottom of the upper head light bracket. I have fitted new stainless steel trim rings and they do not seem to go over the brackets as far as they should. There is a small gap between rthe ring and the bottom of the head light bracket . I want to fit some longer screws which will make the job much easier . Please can anyone tell me the thread size so that I can obtain some longer screws.
Thank you.
clive

Re: What size are the three screws that hold the fork shroud

Post by clive »

Not sure if fitting longer screws will simply move the problem elsewhere. Did it all fit before? Unless you think longer screws will enable you to pull the stainless trim rings fully home. If they dont go your next problem will be at the top under the top yolk which will not go down sufficiently to allow proper adjustment of the fork race.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Invicta wrote:Hi I am having great difficulty in re assembling my fork shrouds after stripping them for a re paint job. The screws just do not seem to be long enough to engage in the threaded holes in the ring at the bottom of the upper head light bracket. I have fitted new stainless steel trim rings and they do not seem to go over the brackets as far as they should. There is a small gap between rthe ring and the bottom of the head light bracket . I want to fit some longer screws which will make the job much easier . Please can anyone tell me the thread size so that I can obtain some longer screws.
Thank you.
Are you refering to the three small screws holding the fork spring covers onto the bottom yoke? If yes. I would not bother with them and rely on the thick leather spring seating rings to locate the covers. I sure the small screws were not used on later bikes but no idea of the year.

Ref the fit of the rings onto the H/L brackets. Yep, these can be a tight fit if the paint is a bit thick. You may need to lightly sand down the paint a bit to fit.
Don't forget to use the rubber ring that acts as a compression ring to make the H/L braackets a nice snug fit between the top and bottom yokes.
Check with spares or manual as I can't recall if the rubber rings fit at the top or bottom. I'm sure somebody will come along with the correct placement.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Srews you require are 3BA available from club spares
Tony
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thanks Tony . I ordered some of those from the club and they were 1/4" longer, which helped the assembly no end.
David.